Corsair Community

Possibly bad Flash Voyager GT

jeoffh

I have been using my Flash Voyager GT (4GB) for a few weeks to carry data from my work to home. I have about 2GB of data but only a few hundred Kilobytes generally change in a day (I have a synch program that scans for changes and only updates the changed files). In the last 3 days I have experienced data corruption in my memory stick which overwrote my good files at home with bad files from work. This was not a super-serious problem as I have caught it the few times that it happened, but I have lost faith in the drive to carry my important data. My scanning program has a nice "diff" tool built-in and I usually check the changed files as I import them so I was kind of lucky that I found the problem. The corruption is obvious when I see it because the files are all text and the corruption so far has appeared as a big "chunk" of binary garbage that starts in the middle of the file and proceeds to the end of the file.

I would like to #1 confirm that indeed this stick has some kind of problem - the data corruption is intermittent so it has only happened like 3 times over a period of a few days. Does corsair make a program to "stress" the stick and see if I am getting corruption? Or is there some kind of S.M.A.R.T. system for USB drives?

#2 the drive is only a few weeks old and I bought it from New Egg so if I choose to return the device for repair should I contact NewEgg or Corsair?

Thanks!

Jeoff

• Corsair Employees

Does this only happen with this program? Have you tried to copy and test other files like a few .zip files then check them and see if they open OK? Have you checked with the program maker and asked if the have seen this type of issue and or if they have a user forum posted to see if other users have seen the problem as well. I would try and format the drive fresh from a command prompt and then test the drive for a few days with non critical files and see if the problem returns.

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

OK. I have formatted the drive as per your suggestion and I am going to use my old 4G drive (a slow one) to double-synch against my Voyager GT. I'll do this for a few weeks and keep a journal.

Also, I tried to find a program that would do some kind of destructive write-read test on my drive but I couldn't find one. I formatted the drive and then wrote a small program to create a single file full of 0xA5 bytes. It took a while to run, but it made the file on the Voyager. Then I wrote a program to scan that file and look for any bytes that aren't 0xA5 (reading was, naturally, much faster than writing) and it didn't have a single error, so that gives me some hope. I formatted the Voyager again before I started my newest test (the double-synch one from above). Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using two thumb drives now for over a week (my old slow one and the Flash Voyager GT). So far the GT has had 2 corrupted file transfers and the old drive had none so I bought another "fast" drive (from A-Data) and in the last 3 days I have had 0 failures (so far).

Sorry that I don't have "proof", but this particular Flash Voyager GT is, in my opinion, junk. Any suggestions on how to replace it?

• 2 months later...

Archived