Corsair Community

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1142 (PC2 9136) Dual Channel

Chris_Rocks

Alright, I don't know if this is a mobo problem or a Corsair ram problem or both but I'll see if you all can help.

I recently got parts to build a pc including among them:

4GB of CORSAIR Dominator 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

Intel Quad Core Extreme

EVGA 680i A1 mobo

EVGA 8800 GTX

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W

I have never built an entire PC before but I have changed just about every part (processors, RAM, video cards, etc) in a computer at one time or another.

So . . . I get everything put together and I turn on the mobo and I get double dashes meaning no post.

So . . . I freak out and call a buddy who tells me to take all but one gig of ram out. I do so. It posts and gets up to the screen that tells me that booting failed (which I expected it to b/c I hadn't hooked up HDs or DVD-Rom yet). So I was happy.

Before doing anything else, I turn my computer on again. It goes double dash. I freak out.

After a load of experimentation (and bending over a pc all day sucks) I found that the double dash problem occured under two circumstances:

1) If a specific stick of the Corsair memory (out of the four I got) was in any of the DIMM slots or

2) even without the offending ram, if the system was turned off by depressing the power button and turned back on . . . double dash. To get it to POST again, I had to remove the AC from the power supply and count to 10. It would post again. Interestingly, under this (without the offending corsair stick) circumstance, there was no problem with a reset using the reset button -- only if the computer were actually turned off.

Also while it was double dashing . . . the only way the computer could be turned off was to remove the power cord -- while in double dash pushing power button did nothing.

So I asked newegg to refund my money for the board and ram well, 2gb of it.

This behavior is very strange to me and my friend who does this stuff all the time was completely baffled as well. I don't know if the problem was with the 680i, the Corsair, or some unholy synergy of the two.

Anyone have any advice for when the replacement RAM arrives.

Everyone says CORSAIR is the best RAM, but I've also read about similar (but different) problems as mine when integrating CORSAIR ram into the 680i as well as a "warning" from NVIDIA about high performance RAM and the 680i saying that the problem was in the RAM (if it is even the same problem). Should I get another brand of RAM? What do you suggest?

EDIT N.B. the kind of ram specified in the text of my post is accurate. the thread title is in error.

• Corsair Employees

First thing the problems you have described would suggest a power problem, and you should update the MB bios when you get the new MB, and all of our modules are tested at the rated frequency on a MB before they leave the factory so the real failure rate is low and why we are one of the best module makers. Now that being said a module can and will fail from time to time especially when over clocking like this.

So what MB do you have or will you have and what is the exact part# of the module you have or will have and how many?

Archived