Corsair Community

Bad Corsair DDR400 2GB Value Select

Hi there,

I think i have some faulty corsair VS RAM.

My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Corsair DDR400 2GB VS (Brainpower PCB and TCCD chips)

Leadtek 7800GTX

Antec TP2.0 480W

The RAM has been running happily at 3-3-3-8 2.8v 240MHz for about a year. And out of the blue, yesterday, windows doesn't start up properly (sometimes it freezes, other times i get all these errors) and things start crashing. I initially thought it was a virus or some sort and decided i need a fresh install anyway, and proceeded to install a fresh copy of Vista. I then put everything back to stock (as you do during windows installs and BIOS flashes). During the install it bluescreened on me a few times, and once more when vista was 'testing' the performance of my system.

I then ran memtest 86 and it turned up heaps of errors. I got 5 errors within 2 seconds of starting it and hundreds more within a 10 seconds.

Is there anything more i can do, or are they completely dead?

Thanks!

Edit: I ran memtest for 2.5 hours at 3-3-3-8 DDR400 2.8v and it turned up over 80000 errors. I tried 2.6v, which is stock, and not surprisingly, it turned up even more errors faster.

I've tried different combinations in different slots and they all give errors. I isolated it down to 1 stick, the other stick seems to work fine (only tried for a few mins) but one stick seems to be giving all the errors.

Need me to post a screenshot of the memtest?

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 volts and then then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test

Hi there,

I just ran the test with everything set to defaults and USB legacy devices disabled and 2.7v through the RAM.

With only the stick that i suspected working in, i didn't get any errors. But as soon as i put the faulty stick in, i got errors as soon as the test started. I tried the faulty stick on its own as well, and turned out to produce just as many errors.

I guess there's no doubt that one stick is faulty :(.

Thanks for your help mate.

Cheers!

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Just another question,

The ram i bought was VS1GB400C3, but i bought 2 at the same time so they have almost sequential serial numbers, meaning there was most chance i could run them in dual channel (and i could). Do you think i could return both and get a kit replacement?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
NP Please let me know if you have any more questions and it will take about 24-48 hours excluding weekends and holidays if not please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 and dial "0" 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time Monday Threw Friday excluding Holidays or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

Archived