Corsair Community

My RAM - Cannot locate on the list

Nenu

Hello (with a few edits)

I have 2 sticks of Corsair CM2x1024-6400C4 RAM in my computer (1gig per stick for a total of 2 gigs). I believe these came packaged as TWIN2x2048-6400C4 (listed as featured memory for my motherboard).

Through an external Web site reviewing Corsair, it was explained that this model of RAM is labeled individually as CM2x1024-6400C4 (correct me if I am wrong).

With my 680i chipset motherboard (which I have been hearing a lot of things about in relation to RAM), I am experiencing random crashes with accompanying blue screens (0x10000008e errors usually, however I have seen others). This points to compatibility or hardware failure from what I have read.

The computer is freshly formatted (in attempts to resolve the crashing if it may have been related to OS) and the crashes continue. I have flashed the BIOS for my motherboard per instructions from my manufacturer to the latest including the fixes for the known errors with the chipset. All drivers are new as of yesterday from manufacturer's websites.

My BIOS optimized defaults set the RAM to 1.87v. I have read on other threads that a different voltage is recommended, but I didn't see anything mentioned in relation to my particular board/brand and this RAM. Will changing the voltage be required, or are the crashes potentially a sign of hardware failure? Anything else that can be suggested?

The board was brand new when the crashing began, and it is random as to when it occurs. Usually during 3d gaming, however I have seen this computer crash with only Firefox open.

Found my RAM finally listed on Gigabyte's pdf file as compatible RAM with my motherboard.

I came to another realization tonight. I had flashed my BIOS as an upgrade (needed) to resolve the known and well publicized issues with the 680i chipset. I loaded optimized defaults. The optimized defaults actually set the memory timings for my RAM to 5-5-5-18. I have since gone through and manually changed the values to 4-4-4-12, as this is what my RAM is listed to run at.

Now the only piece of information that I am missing, and cannot locate a strong source to back changing anything: I need to know the voltage at what my RAM should be running. BIOS sets it to optimized default of 1.87v, but since the BIOS also set the wrong timings for the RAM, I am wondering if the voltage may also be incorrect.

Can an expert here clarify what voltage this RAM should be set to? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I did go through your information in your signature as reference in setting up the BIOS. I am just not "comfortable" with changing the voltage. It is 1.87v currently, your information lists different MB's than I have (does this matter?) with my RAM (TWIN2x2048-6400C4, labelled as 1 gig each cm2x1024-6400c4) should I be changing to 2.1v? I really want to be sure before playing around with this, as I do not understand the full implications of changing voltages and RAM, and if this may cause hardware failure.

What confuses me even more is the JEDEC (sp) vrs EPP settings. On the spec sheet the RAM is listed as 4-4-4-12. So this is what I set it to, but I also understand very little about EPP (I am guessing by what I have seen and read that it is EPP, but should there be BIOS options for this? or is it just an automatic detection?).

I haven't blue screened since changing timings, however... I have received 2 "Windows had recovered from a serious error" message (right after a reboot when Windows logged in), which both directed me through error reporting to Window's site, explaining this had to do with Random Access Memory.

Edit: 2 BSOD's tonight running 3d game. The blue screens themselves seem to reference a different issue.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios installed and just go to Bios setup and Load setup defaults and then set the Dim Over Voltage control to +.2 Volts and set SLI ready Memory to CPU 0% should be good to go.

P.S. If you are getting a Stop Error you can search for the code at http://www.microsoft.com/technet

Thanks to your link, I found a blog from a Microsoft techie, who linked the utility used by Microsoft in helping to read crash logs. I downloaded and installed the utility to check the bunch of crash logs I have, and almost all indicate "memory_corruption". It appears that at least 1 of the 2 sticks have errors, so the person who built my PC is replacing both early next week.

Appreciate the feedback :)

I definitely have the newest BIOS, because it was an update for the issues with the 680i chipset. That BIOS was flashed 2 weeks ago, and I got it from Gigabyte.

As far as the sticks are concerned, I believe my friend is going to test them after replacing the RAM.

• Corsair Employees

Let me know how the tests turn out. I would recommend manually adjusting the settings if you are experiencing issues with the EPP.

Memory Voltage; 2.0v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Archived