Corsair Community

Corsair XMS2 2GB TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO Issue

murderone

I have the following memory in my PC - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO. I bought it from Newegg.

I have an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard. I updated the Bios to the most recent non beta Bios = 0501. In the bios I have set the cas to 4-4-4-12 2T and voltage to 2.1. I also have the asus memory expert on in bios.

PC crashes randomly while playing Call of Duty 2. Regular usage (non-gaming) I do not get any crashes.

I ran memtest and got just one error at 31% (ran two instances and this was only on one instance). I ran both memtest's to 100% then stopped it.

I could use some advice here as I am pretty good with PC's but not sure what is going on. Please help! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Ok I disabled USB Legacy and had the following Memtest 86 errors:

Test Pass Failing Address Good Bad Error Bits Count

5 0 0004c8d0630-1224.0mb 00000000 00040000 00040000 1

5 0 0004d8d0610-1240.0mb 00000000 00040000 00040000 1

7 0 0004d8cff70-1240.9mb 02c5fbff0 2c5bbff0 00040000 11

Does this mean I have bad memory? Please advise.

ok so I read this in the sticky area of this forum

- I'm getting errors in test #5 and/or #8 and have read a lot about it.

Yes there are just about enough discussions on the topic to fill a book, but it all boils down to the answer given above. The only thing that can be said is that many times, when memory latencies are incorrectly set in the BIOS you will experience errors in test #5 and #8. (Though #8 does not exist anymore as of version 1.40 and might be reinstated as a different test in a later version.) This does however NOT mean that errors in these tests are always the cause of incorrect settings; your memory might just as well be defective. However, if you have a failing module they will usually fail in test 4 no matter what frequency you run them at or at any given clock setting. And failures in test 5 or 8 usually would suggest that either one of a few things:

My tests were 5 and 7, not 8. Please take note for your next response. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
What slots do you have the modules in? I would try and move them to the other two slots and then load setup defaults and set the tested settings again with the Voltage set to 2.0 Volts and see if the errors go away. In addition, you have to disable legacy USB when running any memory test with this MB.

Before I do anything I want to know if this is a memory issue. You mentioned different tests than the ones that failed for me. Is this a memory issue? If so I will do whatever you ask but I need to understand what is showing up on Memtest 86.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Like I said errors in test 5-8 would suggest some other problem, and probably not the memory. However, the MB you have might just be selective with these modules and if you cannot get it resolved we can try and replace the modules.

In case you did not see my posts above I did not have errors in tests 5 and 8, my errors are in 5 and 7. That is why I am asking again...I am not trying to be a pain in the butt.

What do errors in 5 and 7 (not 8) mean?

• Corsair Employees
I think you may have miss-interpreted what I posted. 5-8 = 5-Threw-8 not 5 and 8, there is no definition as to the exact cause of these errors only that if you have a failing module the errors usually happen on a lower test and are consistent, normally these type of errors would be power related from what I have seen in the past.

1. moved memory to other slots

2. disables USB Legacy

Same errors occurred:

Test Pass Failing Address Good Err-Bits Count

5 0 0004c8d0630 -1224.0mb 00040000 00040000 1

5 0 0004d8d0610 -1220.0mb 00040000 00040000 1

7 0 0004d8cff70 - 1240.9mb 034098a5 00040000 10

What next?

Is it possible to get the replacements before I send in my defective RAM? I have nothing to put into the machine to replace what I have to make it run and given most of the posts in these forums about turnaround time I am worried I will be down a long time.

Can you let me know?

And thanks for all your help it is appreciated. You have a thankless job!

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry you would need to ask our customer service, I think it will depend on a few specific things, please just talk to our customer service and they will be able to answer that question for you.

Ramguy....I have to say I am completely sorry I did not listen to a friend and buy a different companies RAM for my mobo after trying to RMA my RAM with your customer service. I have always used Corsair and was kind of stuck on the idea and my buddy could not sway me.

Anyway, I called the number you gave me and received prompt help.

I will not give the name of the person I spoke with here nor his extension but I would be glad to give you privately if you want.

We worked out what is needed by Corsair to get memory sent pre-RMA. He sent me two files via email I needed to complete. I am ASTONISHED your organization asks for credit card info in word format via email (unsecure...basic email via my internet provider). Secondly I replied to him asking a question and the email got returned saying email address doesn't exist. I tried multiple times just to be sure. Then I called him back and told him about the email issue and asked my question in a voicemail I left him. I did not get a return call. I left my message mid-afternoon eastern standard time and that means late morning/early afternoon your time.

Does a company as prominent as Corsair really work like this? Wow....

Still need your help.....getting the RMA number and getting things replaced as I don't think Customer Service is interested.

Archived