Corsair Community

HX620W popping sound

Ginger Ben

Hi

Occasionally when I switch my PSU on it makes popping noise, which is quite loud - louder than the click the switch makes, but the PSU seems to be fine. It has done this about 4 times in the 3 months I have had it and I was wondering is it dangerous i.e. is it some kind of discharge and should I RMA my PSU?

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the fast reply. Do you mean is it a noise coming through the speakers? I only switch the speakers on to play games and listen to music. They are never on when I switch the computer on. The pop seems to come from the area around the PSU.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Sorry for the delay, we can try and replace the PSU if you like, but I would suspect its coming from something else. Are you using a Creative sound Card by the way? If so I would try and unplug the speakers from the wall and see if the popping stops.

I am using a creative sound card and the speakers were switched off every time the psu was switched on (by its own power switch) and made a pop noise. The speakers are my hi-fi speakers and the hi-fi is only switched on when needed and left on stand by at all other times.

As I live in the UK and the PSU is under 1 year old I could return it to the e-tailer I bought it from, but as it still powers everything and the pop is so intermittent - only 4 times in 3 months, it would test as not faulty and would be returned at my expense and incur a testing fee.

Thanks for your help, Ben.

I am using a creative sound card and the speakers were switched off every time the psu was switched on (by its own power switch) and made a pop noise. The speakers are my hi-fi speakers and the hi-fi is only switched on when needed and left on stand by at all other times.

As I live in the UK and the PSU is under 1 year old I could return it to the e-tailer I bought it from, but as it still powers everything and the pop is so intermittent - only 4 times in 3 months, it would test as not faulty and would be returned at my expense and incur a testing fee.

Thanks for your help, Ben.

The pop RAM GUY is referring to can occur if the speakers are connected to the sound card, regardless if the speakers are powered on or not. Just to test it, can you remove the speaker wire jack(s) from the Creative card so that the speakers are not connected to the system.

I just switched my computer on this morning and it made a pop again, the speaker jack was disconnected as suggested so I guess it's the psu. Also I can detect a very faint smell of burning or melting at the back of the psu that comes and goes after the psu has been on a couple of hours and heated up.

Archived