Corsair Community

680i And 2x2048-6400c3df 2.4v Issues

twiSted1

Allright i've been having some probs ever since i put this memory in my comps. i have 2 gaming rigs. one has X6800, EVGA680I, 8800gtx SLI and 2 gigs of 6400C3DF. the other has E6600, BFG680I, 7900 GTX SLI and 2 gigs of 6400C3DF. i previously had 2 gigs of 6400C4 in each and wasnt having this problem at all. the problem is after either comp has been on for a while the screen will start blacking out once or twice then then comp will either freeze or shutdown. when i turn it back on i get the error message on the post screen to reset my comp or memory frequency... (i have the SLI ready disabled and have manually set timings at 3.4.3.9 and voltages 2.4V on the memory to avoid the sli overclocking crap. this started happening bout 2 weeks after putting in the C3DF.) .... then the comps will refuse to even post til the next day,like an overheat prob. but if i put the 6400C4 they will post immediately???? with no probs??? hmmmm?

no help from Memtest, no errors at all. is anyone having a problem like this?

i dont want to be stuck with 4 gigs of C3DF that wont work with the tighter timings at 2.4V or at whatever voltage or timings you try to set them at.

Welcome to the, "I have this badass memory and it won't post" club. I was having the same issues with my C3DF 3-4-3-9@2.4V. My issue was because the memory was bad. But only after I RMA'd three sets did I realize that it was not just the memory but mainly the 680i chipset mobo. The short and skinny of it is that these boards like to eat memory, be it a week or an hour, they like to eat it at higher voltages (i.e. 2.4V). In the end I traded up to some faster memory and lowered my voltage to 2.125V. I was running 4 gigs of this stuff in my machine, and I thought at one point that this might be the issue.

All that I can suggest is that you RMA the offending pair(s) and when you get your new memory in, lower the voltage, not the speed or timing. Hope this clears the air a bit.

By the way, I am now running 4 gigs of the PC2-8500(ddr1066) C5D 5-4-4-15-2t@2.125V stable for just under a week. Only time will tell if my mobo eats this ram too. God I hope not. Good Luck!

i actually had tried to run the C3DF at a lower voltage when i first got them but they werent stable at 3.4.3.9. why get cas3 if it cant be used? right?

here's something new, even though there were no errors in memtest on any of the 4 offending( LOL good word) sticks, neither comp will make more than 3 self-tests on Prime95 before an error.. but with the 6400C4 no errors at all.

and this is with the C3DF being set at any voltage or timings. not just 2.4V

the C4 will not error with any changes to voltage or timings.

explain that to me...LOL...please?

the C4 are promos chips, the C3DF are microns, i thought they'd be better.

is it a compatability issue?

i have the C4 running at 4.4.4.12.1T at 667mhz with no probs and boths comps have been on since removing the C3DF with no issues what-so-ever.

Wired, i read the rules not sure what i did that caused you to edit. if i repeated myself, my fault.

sorry Wired wont happen again

just an update. 15 hours since my last post and both comps are still on running prime95 with no errrors.

this is the longest they have stayed on with no probs in months.

its gotta be the C3DF

ok i ran prime95 on each comp for 24 hrs with the C4 with no errors and low and behold they are still on!

i'm not pointing fingers but from what i've read on alot of forums there is a big issue with the Dominator memory and i've experienced it firsthand. i wish i had gotten a set of non-dominator C3 when it was available. i would be happy to trade in my 4 gigs of C3DF for the C3. i dont know if Corsair would consider that or if the C3 is even available anymore. what i do know is that i have about a $1000.00 worth of memory that doesnt work and the C4 wont stop working. its been more than 30days at NE so i cant get money back just replacements, but i really dont want to go though this all over again when they come.

RAM GUY could you let me know what you think i should do?

• Corsair Employees
I would test the modules one set at a time and with 4 modules I would suggest relaxing the timings to Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2.4 Volts but test them one set at a time at the tested settings to make sure one is not failing.

i am not using 4 gigs of C3DF at once in one comp. i had 2 gigs in each of my comps. they all pass memtest but not prime95 and if i put them back in my comps and let it run a few hours, i will have a freeze, shutdown and no post, doesnt matter what timings or voltage they are set at, it will happen eventually. but with the C4 the comps run perfectly, even overclocked.

the C3DF is too expensive to not work right especially when the lower priced C4 works so well.

does Corsair have any C3 left? could i trade back this useless memory? this is not an isolated issue and i'm not a nooblet. this memory worked fine when i got it but has degraded for some reason and i dont think its the 680i chipset because the C4 has worked with it and is still working in my 590 chipset intel mobos. they've been in my amd crosshair mobo for for almost a year with no probs. i have alot of Corsair memory about 20 gigs of various types and never had a problem like this before with any of them,

i really think Corsair is having a serious problem with this new Dominator series memory more often than not.

yes the fan has been used at all times. i didnt think it was optional. it also seems weird that even though the dominator has such a new design in heat spreaders, they need a fans? when these sticks are only being operated at .1 thru .3 voltage increases over the previous XMS? seems like overkill for such a minor bump in voltage.

regardless of that, i've been buying Corsair for years and never had this issue. it either works or it doesnt, not works for a little while til ur system fails for no reason. but yet every other stick of memory i put in there works wonderfully. i do not want replacement Dominators, no offense but from what i've gone through and from what i've read in many forums i have no faith in getting any more. i wish to trade for the regular 6400C3 if its somehow still available. and if i RMA the C3DF do you think that i'm going to try them and go thru this all over again? not a chance LOL what i thought was going to be beneficial to my systems turned into months of frustration and a big waste of my money.

I've heard numerous reports of 680 mobos overvolting RAMs. I'm not sure whether they are true or not, but if they do then it would, at least, explain your problem: RAM worked fine initially at (supposedly) 2.4V, then started deteriorating from that point on, until it just died days/weeks/months later.

I'd suggest RMA the Dominators, then run them initially at relaxed SPD settings (5-5-5-16 or something like that), with default stock voltage (1.8 or 1.9, not sure, shouldn't matter since the mobo should pick it up automatically) for at least a few weeks. Then, see if you can get them to run at 3-4-3-9 with lower voltage (up to 2.2V, don't go above this) while remaining stable (memtest, orthos, gaming, the usual stuff). Failing that, either stick with the relaxed timing (I know, it sucks big time :(: ), or tighten it slightly to 4-4-4-12 which I believe is what the 6400C4 is rated at (you could probably get away with just 2.1V with this, check the specs on 6400C4).

i have tried every setting from stock jedec to the epp. no matter what settings they are at my comps will freeze and shutdown after a matter of hours. its been happening to me for months and i thought it was BF2142.

so i stopped using one comp and started using the other and it started happening on that one too, the only part they share is the C3DF.

without them and using the C4 the game and the comps run forever.

overclocked or not.

like i said i know what i'm doing and you keep ignoring my questions, mainly is there any regular C3 available? and if so could i trade the C3DF for them?

because i'm done with the C3DF RMA or not.

i didnt have a problem before using them and since being removed i have no more problems other than being stuck with them.

to answer ur question noobie, C3DF will work at all settings and voltage for a limited time and then boom nothing. this has been going on since i got them. comp will not post til they are taken out and other memory is put in. since all the sticks pass memtest i figured it was another prob but now the evidence is overwhelming. when they are used=problems. when they are not=no probs.

process of elimination.

• Corsair Employees

Again you did not answer my question how can I help you?

Can you tell me the exact bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

i have tried every setting possible. they have become a bane to my existance. telling you all the settings that have been tried to make this memory work for more than a day would fill this whole page. they will not work more than a day on any settings. i am done with them.

are there any C3 available? i want to trade for them. PLEASE. thats all i'm concerned with now.

LOL i have 2 matched pairs of C3DF. 2 gigs in each gaming comp. both comps have a 680i, 1 BFG 1 EVGA. every other part is different cept the C3DF.

i have C3DF in my AMD Crosshair 590 mobo now for few days so far. we'll see how long it takes them to fail on it. if they dont then its the 680i.

thats why RMA is not an issue cos i'm using the 680i and the C4 works so well with it that now its the old "dont fix it if it aint broke".

LOL i will scrap the C3DF before RMA'ing and going though this again. LOL i'm not trying to be difficult i just want my games to run well and for as long as i want to play them. with the C4 i'm in heaven. with the C3DF im in hell. the C3DF was supposed to upgrade not downgrade my systems.

can i trade for C3 if its available RAM GUY?

that is my only question now. lets see if you answer it this time.

• Corsair Employees
i have tried every setting possible. they have become a bane to my existance. telling you all the settings that have been tried to make this memory work for more than a day would fill this whole page. they will not work more than a day on any settings. i am done with them.

are there any C3 available? i want to trade for them. PLEASE. thats all i'm concerned with now

XM2S6400C3 and XM2S6400C3DF are exactly the same part the only difference is the Heat spreader and the addition of the Fan. The IC's we are using is the exact same Micron D9.

Again if you cant tell me the settings you tried and what you did and the system configuration how can I help you. If you just want to get an RMA by all means please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

However, what you have posted makes no sense, have you tested the modules one at a time to make sure you don't have a failing module? And what was the system configuration and Bios settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

OMG RAM GUY you quoted but still didnt answer my only question. i keep answering yours, why cant i get the same courtesy? but you did hit it on the head. this makes no sense.

to answer urs again, your suggestions have already been tried.

reference the last 2 pages of my posts that you obviously didnt bother to read.

just a question, the RAM GUY is someone in technical support right?

like at DELL? LOL someone in Bangladesh? cos the way you ingore my questions makes me wonder if English is ur second, maybe third language.

must i repeat my question again or can you read my prior posts and figure it out? this is ridiculous, if i didnt know better i'd think i was being messed with. seriously LOL my 2 sets of C3DF are not stable in 2 separate 680i mobos, every setting has been painstakingly tried. they will not pass prime95 for 1 minute. yet all pass memtest?

"XM2S6400C3 and XM2S6400C3DF are exactly the same part the only difference is the Heat spreader and the addition of the Fan. The IC's we are using is the exact same Micron D9."

the voltage?

the C3 has the same timings but operates at a lower voltage 2.2V? and since everyones yelling and pointing fingers at 2.4V i wanted to be able to try them cos at this point CAS 3 is out of my reach on my 680i's. and since everyones having probs with the C4D but im not with the C4.

that is why i want to trade. cos they are not the same and you should have known that. right?

Archived