Corsair Community

2 x CMX512-3200XLPT -> one fails

Zix

Hi,

After having experienced several windows crash/reboots and numerous segfaults under linux, decided to run memtest on my Twinx CMX512-3200CLPT modules.

I'm using a Shuttle SN95G5 (motherboard FN95) with latest bios and a AMD64 3500+ CPU, no overclock, everything is set as AUTO in the Bios (tested with "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" and/or "Load Optimized Defaults", Timing mode = Auto)

Here is what I did :

#1 run memtest with the two modules installed -> errors

#2 run memtest with module #1 only -> OK

#3 run memtest with module #2 only -> errors (many), failing address starting at 0001a67d948

#4 repeat the test with module #1 only -> OK

#5 repeat the test with module #2 only -> same errors

So it seems one of the modules (#2) is having troubles when #1 runs fine (Pass 100% OK)

Complete module reference is "CMX512-3200XLPT XMS3208v1.2 00447102-1" followed by "XMS3200 512MB 400MHz 2.2.2.5"

Any suggestion ?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts

Tried that, but unfortunately, changing to Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts in the bios make the system to not boot.

If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!”

Will do, but some questions :

- only one of the two modules is subject to errors ; since both modules are sold and supposed to run together (Twinx), do I have to send both or only the faulty one.

- I'm living in Europe (France), is there any possibility to ship to a Corsair regional site or do I really have to ship them to the US ?

- What is the average delay for a RMA ? (especially if I send both modules, my PC won't run without RAM...)

Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't, my other system is a notebook.

However, what's the objective here ? Nothing has been overclocked, bios is latest version, everything is set as default, and I don't have _any_ issue with one of the modules (currently in the PC) when the other fails (currently removed from the PC due to frequent crashes).

Don't you think that these informations should be enough to conclude that one of the modules fails ?

I'm clearly not an overclocker, if I use such certified (and expensive) RAM modules, objective is to be able to use my PC with good performance right out of the box without having to spend time and time trying to tweak bios settings, CAS, voltage, FSB, etc. Such things are not for me...

One module works like a charm in this "default" configuration, so second one is expected to be identical, isn't it ? (both are part of a "Twinx" kit...)

What is the next step ?

• Corsair Employees
No I am sorry it suggests to me that you have a potential system problem, these modules have a minimum suggested Voltage of 2.75 Volts and may or may not be stable at less voltage, I would suggest testing the modules in a system that will allow the proper voltage to be sure.

Understood, thank for pointing that out, didn't know about the minimum suggested voltage of these modules.

Well, I have been able to force RAM voltage to 2.8 in the bios ; after having modified the voltage and saved & exit, I had to push the reset button once, but now, all reboots & power off/on are OK :-/

So RAM voltage is set as 2.8, reported as 2.8 by Shuttle windows tool, and reported as 2.76 by the bios (it seems that the shuttle tend to undervolt the memory a little).

Unfortunately, same problem, no error with first module, but still errors with the other.

Any advice ?

• 2 months later...
Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

Any news about this ?

I'm still waiting for my modules, the French post office confirmed that my shipment RK285637935FR (RMA 1005937) had been delivered in Fremont on MAY 22nd (7 weeks ago !).

It begins to be a little bit long for me ...

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry we can no longer check RMA status; please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext “0” or send them an email (rma@corsairmemory.com) with your RMA# and ask them for the status!

Archived