Corsair Community

mem compatiblity question

chuckdee

i have the striker extreme mobo with 1102 bios. i purchased my memory a few months ago from newegg. i have the dominator series cm2x1024-6400c3d.

i looked in the mem guide and i dont see it there.but i was told that this memory would work for the mobo. if so what are correct mem timings? thx for your time.

asus striker extreme bios 1102

x6800 core 2 duo 2.93ghz

zalman 9700 led

2/cm2x1024-6400c3d

2/en8800gtx

coolermasters 850w psu

x-fi fatality sound card

I actually traded up but when I had that memory I found out a few things about that mobo:

1. Absolutely, without a doubt, use the airflow fan on this memory, trust me.

2. I could run stable with my timings at 800Mhz 3-4-3-9-2t@2.4V with all 4 gigs. The only problem is that after a week or so, the memory would be dead.

3. Using a lower voltage on the memory is an absolute must with this mobo. Once again, trust me.

4. If you can't get it to post, or you have any, and I do mean ANY, errors in memtest86+ 1.70 lower your memory speed first.

5. Do not, I repeat, do not use a high voltage (i.e. what the memory is rated at).

6. This mobo is quite particular when it comes to the ram it likes, just follow the stock timings, use a lower voltage, and test, test, test. I would change one setting before going to bed, test overnight, change a setting before going to work, test while at work.

I hope that this helps, I spent about a month fighting my mobo (I have the exact same mobo as you) trying to figure this one out. I eventually just gave up only to realize the day after I exchanged my memory ;)

Don't worry, it's not the memory, it's the 680i chipset; it's weird like that. It likes lower voltages for high quality memory.

Good Luck! :)

edit: Also be sure and turn off linkboost, I think that it is no longer a feature in 1102, but I can't remember. And be sure and set the SLI Ready Memory option to Expert. Hope this helps.

thank you man so much. when i bought the memory it was the best available and i have been running it at 2.0v i will try lowering it. the thing about the fans is also true. right now im running only 1 stick of 6400, just a gig. with out the fans it wont run2 gig sticks,,too hot and i get blue screens. but thx again for all your help its nice to know i'm not only one who put out 500.00 for a finiky mobo..lol

thank you man so much. when i bought the memory it was the best available and i have been running it at 2.0v i will try lowering it. the thing about the fans is also true. right now im running only 1 stick of 6400, just a gig. with out the fans it wont run2 gig sticks,,too hot and i get blue screens. but thx again for all your help its nice to know i'm not only one who put out 500.00 for a finiky mobo..lol

follow-up i am running both sticks with settings 4-4-4-12 and my mem volts are at 1.85 and system runs great no more blue screens and boots everytime. thx again for help

Archived