Corsair Community

Failure: XMS 2GB (2x1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM unbuff DDR 400 (PC 3200)

BrianStC

Both memory sticks show as failing and I can't boot. Hard to believe both of these premium sticks would fail and I'm wondering if there's a MOBO tweak I need to consider. I've seen posts for voltage changes and other tweaks that might help... but not for my memory and system. I don't want to just try things blind... or fry anything.

Are there MOBO settings I should try? Regardless of the effectiveness... are there optimal settings for these sticks in my system?

If the above doesn't work... I don't know how to run a memtest. I don't have a floppy drive and can't get my computer to boot.

MOBO: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe NF4SLI 939

CPU: AMD64 FX-60 ATHLON 64

MEM: SMS 2GB (2x1GB) 184 Pin DDR SDRAM unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Optical: DVD+-RW Plextor 16X PX-716SA/SW

Vid: Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR2 VIVO PCI Expressx16

Sound: Creative X-FI XTREME

Hard: Maxtor DiamonMax 10 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA150

Power: ANTEC TP2-550 EPS 12V

Monitor: Dell 2405FPW

Running great for over a year. Shut-down and reboot-attempt with a micro-power failure in the house. Have surge protection but not a batery backup for continuous power. Can't boot from a disc because I'm reading failed mem sticks.

Thanks,

Brian

To add to the post:

- The memory is XMS (not SMS, which was a typo). Platinum.

- The mem-test that showed a failure on both sticks was performed by IT staff at a Micro Center (a computer component, builder, and repair store in PA). I don't believe that the mem-test they ran was the latest download from this site however. Will this affect my ability to send in my sticks for an evaluation and/or replacement? I don't have an easy way to download and run the test myself... and my family's getting anxious to use the computer, which has been idled for a couple weeks now.

Thanks,

Brian

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived