However, running CPU-Z in vista home premium the reported SPD is:

Frequency: 400MHz

CAS: 4

R/CAS: 4

RAS: 4

TRAS: 12

TRC: 22

Command per clock: 2T

I haven't adjusted voltage settings but could vista just be detecting the ram wrong? I've also tried manually setting frequency to 800 in bios with no joy in Vista

Hope you can help

What you are seeing is correct, it is no trick. But, it is right. DDR, or double data rate, memory effectively doubles the amount of data that can travel along the bus at a particular clocked speed (forgive the laymen's jargon). Thus DDR2-800 actually runs at 400mhz. So you are not seeing things. I know that this might not be the best explanation, but it is the best that I can come up with ;) Hope this helps.

It doesn't make too much difference. I would set it on 22 and run memtest 1.70 for at least eight hours. If it is stable then let it fly, if not, relax your timings and try it again. It usually takes me about a week to fully optimize each rig I've got. And you should really only tweak one or two things each time you test. Just to be sure that you can find out what is causing a stability issue, assuming that you have one. Good luck!

Thanks again :)

This is the first computer I've built on my own so sorry if the questions are a bit simple.

I think I'll leave the Trc as it is now but may tinker with it later. Do I really need to run memtest if everything seems to be working fine?

I always run memtest just to make sure that everything is perfectly stable as far as memory is concerned. To make sure that my entire rig is stable, I run either Orthos 2004 (which has yet to be updated for my quad core rig), or a modified version of Prime95. Hope this info helps.

Archived