Corsair Community

Incompatibility with 2x1GB Corsair value select VS1GB400C3 and v81gb400c3?

carlangas23

My memory failed memtest86+, (test 5).

I have 2x1GB Corsair value select VS1GB400C3 and v81gb400c3 that I bought individually in a different stores in 2006 (Big mistake, I think).

CPU-Z shows that the two sticks have different chips. One (VS1GB400C3) has a single SPD of 3-3-3-8 @200mhz while the other (v81gb400c3) has two: 3-3-3-8 @200mhz and 2.5-3-3-7 @166mhz.

Recently I bought a new Motherboard Asrock 775Dual Vsta Lga pt880 Pro and an Intel core 2 duo E4300 Allendale 1.8Ghz and now when I use both at the same time the system doesn't boot, sometimes stops after I see "dual channel memory mode", before the "bip", or just tries to start 3 or 4 times until I have to turn off the computer manually. (I can't access to the windows logo) I thought it was a Windows error and I formated the hard drive and installed windows again, but the problem continues.

Also I had the same problem with my old Motherboard Gigabyte GA-7VT600L, I couldn't use both sticks at the same time. So I was using only 1GB (VS1GB400C3).

I swapped the two sticks in memory slots and it didn"t work.

The bios only have an option for low, medium or high DRAM voltage, I tested them using AUTO and HIGH. Also I tried with "LEGACY USB SUPPORT" ENABLED AND DISABLED. With CAS LATENCY AUTO,2.5 and 3, CPU auto or ASYNC (200)...

I have the latest bios. I was testing the memory using memtest86+. Here are some results:

The first full test that I did with both sticks showed 61 errors, (All in test#5)

VS1GB400C3 is testing good alone, "pass complete, no errors".

v81gb400c3 sometimes has 0 errors after 33 min or 110 after 2 min.

Yesterday I used v81gb400c3 in the slot#1 and VS1GB400C3 in slot#2 for 35 min without any error, so I tried to pass a full test, but 3h later the screen was showing 215 errors!!!

Any ideas? What do you think?

Your advice to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

To carlangus23,

Let me start by billing myself as a non-expert. But we are in somewhat the same boat as I have an asrock board, do have a stick of vs1gb400c3, and am mixing ram. And I do predict that you will get the standard advice--never mix ram. I just want to say better results are sometimes possible.---even though asrock boards and corsair ram can be finicky stuff.

But to note some differences in our setups---I have never heard of the ram designation of corsair v81GB400c3---and don't see it on the corsair website. Another oddity is that my stick of vs1gb400c3 reports spd's of 3-3-3-8@200mhz---and 2.5-3-3-7@166mhz.---and my packaging says vista ready so it must be modern---and if your stick fails to report the 166mhz spd, they must be from different lot numbers at a minimum. And my asrock board is for an amd processor--so no guarantee the bioses are even similar.

But to get to my results--when I first added the vs1gb400c3 stick to my set up and tried to run it with another stick of non-identical corsair ram, the first run of memtest86 generated nothing but errors. A slight bios tweak got both sticks running at 2.5-3-3-7 with no memtest86 errors---but the downside was

the memory bus was running at pc2100 speed.---and the ram flat out refused to run at standard 3-3-3-8 timings. And only after trying quite a number of bios settings was I able to finally get a setting where I got full pc3200 speed out of both sticks---and for me the magic tweak was changing memory flexibility from enabled to disabled.---I don't know if you have such a bios settings--you might try it if you do. You also might try running at the 2.5-3-3--7 setting but select 200mhz and see---but it works for me without any memory errors. You also may have to jumper reset your bios--as it may be remembering a previous setting thats killing you now.

But at the end of the day---when anyone violates that rule of not mixing ram,

you are basically on your own.---and its seems to be more black art than science. I just hold out hope that indeed its possible, with some trial and error, to get both sticks running at full speed---it may not feel good while you are playing the trial and error games--but the results can be worthwhile.

Just don't get radical and over volt the ram--or do things that damages ram.

But the fix likely lies in your bios settings.---and the chance you bought defective sticks of corsair ram is really low.

Thank you for your response.

Today I realized that it is VS1GB400C3 not V81GB400c3, you are right. :o:

So both are the same, VS1GB400C3, one has a single SPD of 3-3-3-8 @200mhz while the other has two: 3-3-3-8 @200mhz and 2.5-3-3-7 @166mhz.

I was making tests with both memories and the best results are:

DRAM voltage: HIGH

LEGACY USB SUPPORT: DISABLED.

Memory flexibility: DISABLED.

Timings 3-3-3-8 (manually) and the rest AUTO.

Full test:"Pass completed, no errors" after 1h and a half.

CPU-Z shows under "memory Timings":

Frequency:158Mhz

FSB:DRAM:6:5

CAS LAtency:3

RAS to CAS:3

RAS precharge:3

Cucle Time:8

Command Rate:2T

...but when I open internet explorer or any other program I receive and error and I have to close it. Aggggggg!!!

So I removed the second stick and everything was working fine again until I received another error with Acrobat reader, ???

Anyway, Do you have the CPU Auto, Async or Sync?

Did you manually set the memory to DDR400 or AUTO?

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

CPU Auto,

memory to DDR333 or AUTO?

Timings 2.5-3-3-7 (manually) and the rest AUTO.

CAS LAtency:2.5

Cucle Time:7

To carlangas23,

On the off chance that the following questions are asked of me. Namely.

Anyway, Do you have the CPU Auto, Async or Sync?

Did you manually set the memory to DDR400 or AUTO?

In my case cpu is set to async---and memory is set to ddr400. With the async being the recommendation of my mobo manual---but its my understanding that advice differs substantially in amd and intel board.

And cpu-z shows my memory bus running at pc3200 speeds.

But at the end of the day---methinks the ram guy knows way more than I do on how to set your bios. But I am not sure is you can leave the certain things on auto and still be able to set memory timings on your asrock board. But if you can achieve stability at PC2700 with the ram guys settings---you should be in good shape---as there should not be a big speed hit between pc2700 and pc3200.

Thank you for your help guys.

I used a program called RegSeeker to clean the registry and worked fine for one day without any errors but this morning Windows didn't start again, so I changed the timings to 2.5-3-3-7 and now is working again. The weird thing is that I have this problems only when the computer is cold, in the morning or when I come from work.

Also I discovered that there is a new version of the BIOS, 2.60 and I have 2.40 so I am going to download the new one and make a few test too...

I am using BIOS 2.60 and It is working fine since Sunday with these settings:

CPU Auto,

memory AUTO

Timings 2.5-3-3-7 (manually) and the rest AUTO.

CAS LAtency:2.5

Cucle Time:7

Thank you very much for your help Ramguy and Osage923.

Archived