Corsair Community

Mixing memory sizes

its too far awa

Hi I currently have a computer with a M55SLI-S4 Socket AM2 motherboard which has a matched pair TWIN2X1024A-6400 in it currently. Is it possible for me to put in a TWIN2X2048-6400 to have a total of 3Gb? They seem to all match up latency wise etc etc but will it work? will there be any sort of speed slow down?

Cheers

Ben

Hi I currently have a computer with a M55SLI-S4 Socket AM2 motherboard which has a matched pair TWIN2X1024A-6400 in it currently. Is it possible for me to put in a TWIN2X2048-6400 to have a total of 3Gb? They seem to all match up latency wise etc etc but will it work? will there be any sort of speed slow down?

Cheers

Ben

The TWIN2X1024A kit has two single-ranked 512MB modules, so you may use a TWIN2X2048 kit of the same speed/latency designation and the same revision. Just be advised that you will not be able to run all 3GB at the full speed due to the loading limitations of all modern memory controllers (The Socket AM2 memory controller is limited to four ranks of memory at the full DDR2-800/PC2-6400 speed; thus, with the six ranks of memory with the four sticks that you're considering running, you will have to run them at DDR2-667/PC2-5300 speed, and performance will slow down slightly as a result of mixing single- and double-ranked DIMMs).

The TWIN2X1024A kit has two single-ranked 512MB modules, so you may use a TWIN2X2048 kit of the same speed/latency designation and the same revision. Just be advised that you will not be able to run all 3GB at the full speed due to the loading limitations of all modern memory controllers (The Socket AM2 memory controller is limited to four ranks of memory at the full DDR2-800/PC2-6400 speed; thus, with the six ranks of memory with the four sticks that you're considering running, you will have to run them at DDR2-667/PC2-5300 speed, and performance will slow down slightly as a result of mixing single- and double-ranked DIMMs).

So because the AM2 memory controller cant handle 6 ranks at 800Mhz all the memory will slow down to 667? Hmmm perhaps I will just add another TWIN2X1024A and have 2Gb at faster speed. Would be cheaper too. Is it key that I find a pair that are of the same revision as mine then?

Archived