Corsair Community

Bad Stick of RAM

I purchased 2x 1 gig RAM sticks from Corsair in early February. My bad stick was not allowing me to boot, but the good one will allow it. Both together will do nothing... no boot at all.

The RAM is...

CM2X1024-6400 XMS6405v5.1

I purchased this RAM from Newegg.com, an authorized reseller for Corsair (at least I'm 99% sure on that).

It is 800mhz RAM... 5-5-5-12 voltage. The other stick is running fine, just this one is bad.

EDIT: This came in a twin pack, by the way.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard

Core2Duo 1.86gHz

FSB is 1066mHz

BIOS settings are default, haven't really messed with those (mainly because I have no clue how). All I know is that this stick of RAM isn't working... I know that because if I try to boot using the stick that doesn't work, but if I go to the other stick, it works and I'm using that right now.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Sorry, but how am I supposed to run memtest or do anything of that on something when it won't even boot with the bad RAM loaded? Like, if I have the bad RAM loaded, I press on and the computer doesn't beep, it doesn't do anything. If I have the good RAM in without the bad RAM, it loads. If I have just the bad RAM in, it doesn't do anything. It just doesn't boot Windows, it doesn't do *anything* at all with the bad RAM loaded in any combination with or without the good RAM.

Archived