Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200C2PT and TWINX1024-3200XLPT + ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Problem

TwinXM

Hi!

I have ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and TWINX1024-3200XLPT (2x512GB) memory installed.

Today I bought TWINX1024-3200C2PT (2x512MB) modules.

Is ther any way they will work together?

In BIOS autodetect mode i see wrong timings and speed (266MHz, should be 400MHz).

Thanks for help!!!

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but with this platform you cannot mix memory, all of the modules should be matched for best performance, but you can try and manually set the memory frequency and timings and then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and check if it is stable. I would set it to DDR333 at Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.8 Volts.

Thanks for fast reply :)

It's not working with this configuration :( (DDR333 at Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.8 Volts).

I will send it back to Newegg and try to get the TWINX1024-3200XLPT ones.

I'm sorry to say this, but you'll have to buy those 3200XL modules used from a private owner. This is because the 3200XL modules are no longer in production. And even if you can get another kit to match the two that you have, you may have to keep your memory's speed at DDR333 with four sticks just to remain stable. As such, I'd instead recommend selling your existing 3200XL kit, and get yourself one new TWINX2048-3200C2 kit.

And even if you can get another kit to match the two that you have, you may have to keep your memory's speed at DDR333 with four sticks just to remain stable. As such, I'd instead recommend selling your existing 3200XL kit, and get yourself one new TWINX2048-3200C2 kit.

I found "Corsair XMS TwinX1024-3200XL" XMS3208 v1.2 on eBay, exactly the same I have, but black (I have platinum), You think that there is no way to make it runs @DDR400MHz (2-2-2-5; 2,75 Volts)?

I found "Corsair XMS TwinX1024-3200XL" XMS3208 v1.2 on eBay, exactly the same I have, but black (I have platinum), You think that there is no way to make it runs @DDR400MHz (2-2-2-5; 2,75 Volts)?

There is no way to determine unless you tell us which stepping of your CPU. Depending on the memory controller of your CPU, you may have to drop your memory speed down to DDR333 due to the increased loading on your CPU's memory controller. As a rule, memory controllers can run memory at their full speed only with four ranks of memory - but each 512MB stick of 3200XL is already double-ranked, which means that you will reach the four-rank maximum with only two sticks installed.

And of course, it's a given that you'll have to use 2T in the command rate setting due to the additional loading.

Speaking of platinum versus black, you can use them together since the only difference between the two is cosmetic.

It's stepping 1.

(Screenshot from CrystalCPUID attached)

Based on that info, you likely have a revision E4 chip, which may not run reliably at full DDR400 speed (and thus may force you to keep your memory speed at the slower DDR333 setting) with more than two double-ranked sticks of memory.

I have 1 GB now and was thinking of trashing it for a 2x1GB set. If kept my 1 GB set (2x512MB) for a total of 3 GB @ 333MHz, would I be better off with that setup or just 2 GB @ 400MHz? I have the same MoBo as the OP, but an Athlon X2 4400+ 2 x 1MB cache.

Archived