Corsair Community

Help with Dominator PC2-9136C5D

guz

I have 1 set of this memory (2X1GB modules), and can not seem to get them to run stable at stock speeds/voltages. Here is a description of my experiences with 2 different motherboards (I'm trying to include as much info as I can and still be as brief as possible, so please bear with me).

I first had an EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 and ran the memory with SLI memory enabled, at CPUOC 0%. It ran at its rated speed/voltage of 1142 mhz and 2.1v, but the system would spontaneously restart any time I stressed it. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics and received several errors on ERAND and LRAND tests every time I ran them for any length of time.

I increased the voltage to 2.2v and left all other settings the same. Everything seemed to run perfectly at that point; however, after reading several posts on EVGA's forums about memory failing at 2.2v and higher on 680i motherboards, I thought there might be an issue with the board and returned it.

I replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6, and initially ran with the same settings: SLI memory enabled at CPUOC 0%. It ran at 1142 mhz, but I couldn't tell what voltage it was running at (the BIOS asks for automatic control of the memory voltage at these settings, and I allowed it, but I couldn't tell what voltage it selected. I presume it was 2.1v). With these settings, I had repeated BSODs and other crashes, the majority of them being stop errors 0x00000050 and 0x0000008E.

So I changed the BIOS settings and set memory voltage manually, first to 2.1v with no change in system stability, then to 2.2v with only a minor improvement to stability (still had repeated BSODs, but they were less frequent).

Finally, to achieve what I consider an acceptable level of stability, I am now running with SLI memory disabled, linked at 1:1 (1066 mhz), and voltage manually set to 2.1v.

I have not changed any of the memory timings on either board, and I have used the dominator fans (purchased separately) in both instances.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, but I do believe I should be able to run the memory at its stated speed and voltage without any stability issues, given the premium paid for this set of memory, and I have not been able to do that. I don't know if an RMA is in order, or if perhaps there is something else I can try, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

guz

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set SLI Ready Memory to CPU Max and them then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived