Corsair Community

RMA Request - VS512MB533D2 Module

Hello. I need to get a RMA for a memory module I bought on Sept. 5, 2006 from Newegg.com for a friend of mine. I bought two of these modules to help upgrade their old computer so they could have a good 1GB of RAM. Everything was great then and up until last week. They started having issues where the computer would sometimes turn on, sometimes not (meaning it wouldn't POST) and a lot of the time it would just randomly reboot while they were in Windows, or just freeze or something.

So I went in and did everything I could think of. I reset the CMOS, checked the cabling and power source (both the power supply and the wall outlet/surge protector), used my Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to run anti-virus and anti-spyware tests, HD diagnostics, CPU diagnostics, chkdsk with recovery, etc, etc. I did everything except for think about the RAM. So this went on for a few hours one night before I gave up and headed home. I then went back tonight and finally found the problem after trying to run MemTest... one of the RAM modules was bad. Memtest failed about 3 seconds after starting and froze completely. So I took out one of the chips, and ever since then, all tests passed successfully, Prime 95 worked great with the stress test, and Windows was running perfectly.

So, I think I've got enough evidence to say it was the RAM that was the problem. May I get an RMA please? What other information do you need? Thanks. :)

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Like I said in my first post, I've already ran Memtest at least twice. And during these tests, I had everything disconnected except for power, keyboard, and video (keyboard is PS/2). As I said, the first tests with Memtest failed with both RAM chips. When I took one of the chips out, all further tests ran fine and the entire PC ran perfect from then on out. Thus I don't see how else I need to prove that this one chip is bad. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

As I posted previously:

If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. As a follow-up on this, I sent my RAM chip to you guys around the 19th I believe and I've still yet to hear any response back. Is there a way I can check the status on my return?

RMA #: 1002796

Case #: 132520

Thanks.

Archived