Corsair Community

2 Failed modules CMX512-4000PRO

Well, it's been over 2 years since I posted here and the two XMS Pro modules that I bought back in 2005 recently begain to fail on me (roughly 2 weeks before making this post.)

I have tried more ram settings than I ever care to, to try and get these modules to work, I lost my C: (bsod's screwed the partition) drive during the process, tried the paired modules on 3 different motherboards, in both dual and single channel mode, only way I figured out that the memory was bad was I forgot to put two modules in the system during one install of XP and finally managed to get the OS reinstalled, mem test throws failures at 133 mhz with two modules installed.

Would like to request an RMA direct from Corsair as I don't have my origional reciept from Frys (at least I haven't found it yet after a recent move).

Up to 2.8 Volts and backed off timings as low as 10 4 4 cas 3 at 133 MHz and 2 T command rate will still throw errors in memtest and a windows XP install won't complete. The modules were running for months at 8 3 3 3.0 at 237 MHz and 2.8 volts 2T command rate. The lower timings were necessary due to having them paired with a pair of 512 meg Xpert modules 4x512 total, however the testing was done with just the two PC-4000 modules.

The Xpert modules were also having trouble running properly so RMA'd those through Newegg, still waiting on their return as well.

Motherboards tried are, Epox EP-9NPA+SLI, Asrock Dual VSTA, ECS NForce3-A all with relaxed memory timings, and 3 different chipsets, Nforce 4, Nforce 3 250 and ULI M1695. (note that the ECS board was running a completely different cpu as well, a single cored Athlon 64 3200+ and the modules still failed to even boot XP at 133 mhz.

Edit: As far as performance settings, the best I ever managed to get out of the modules by themselves was 11 3 3 cas 2.5 1T command rate at 250 MHz at 2.8 volts. CPU was fine at those settings with just those two modules installed, CPU settings at that time were, Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 10x250 @ 1.575 Vcore under a Vantec water cooling kit.

I am currently running a pair of old PC 2700 modules at 166 MHz 7 3 3 cas 2.5 at 2.7 volts 1T on the Asrock board and they are working just fine. Crimany, bought these modules back in 2002 lol (tough little modules I guess) and I had to steal them from the girlfriends computer.

• Corsair Employees

Please put them back in the system and then set these settings with the CPU at 200 MHz after you load setup defaults.

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Then test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

Ok with both modules in system, tested at 166 MHz on ram in dual channel mode, it was still running at 7.5 hours of testing.

Bumping it to 200 MHz on ram with everything else as stated above, results in this little gem after about 10 minutes. (note that I tried it twice with same result both times)

http://snipershide.us/mem/mem_problem_200_mhz_%20002_(Large).jpg

Also I do notice that it seems to post slower with these two sticks even at 166 MHz than the other brand named sticks of pc 2700 I was using. It's like it stops for a second or two during drive detection where the other ones it just zips right through.

Note that this is supposed to be PC 4000 ram, the 250 MHz stuff and is rated to run that using the settings mentioned above.

Going to continue testting with individual modules at 200 MHz as 166 isn't producing any errors and see if its one or both modules that have the problem, will report back tomorrow.

Oh and it is rather obvious at this point that something is definately goofed if the ram can't run 200 MHz @ 2.8 Vdimm, let alone 250 MHz that it should be able to do.

Ok, both modules tested for roughly 5 hours each at 200 MHz and neither failed. If I put both sticks back in tho, either single or dual channel mode then I wind up getting the same error as posted in the pic above.

In dual channel mode it will hapen within 10 minutes, in single channel mode about 15 minutes.

Next?

Edit: Just as a quick test, I did a 250 MHz run with single stick, Memtest starts throwing errors in about 4 minutes. See pic below.

http://snipershide.us/mem/mem_problem_250_mhz_002_(Large).jpg

• Corsair Employees
You cannot Mix memory with this platform, are you mixing XMS3200 and XMS4000 modules on this system? And if you are using four modules you may have to run the memory at DDR333 as well. so can you tell me the exact system configuration and what are the exact settings you have set?

The XMS 3200's aren't in system and hasn't been for any of the testing in this thread.

The only modules I have used for testing in the above methods are the XMS 4000 modules.

The exact settings initially were done as suggested above:

Please put them back in the system and then set these settings with the CPU at 200 MHz after you load setup defaults.

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Then test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

Testing with the two PC 4000 modules in Dual channel mode, passes this test at 166 MHz.

At 200 MHz with the two PC 4000 Modules in Dual channel mode and rest of the settings same as above, the test fails with this error.

At 200 MHz testing each module individually it passes.

At 250 MHz with single module, both will fail within 4 minutes with multiple errors show in the pic below.

http://snipershide.us/mem/mem_problem_250_mhz_002_(Large).jpg

Sum it up, 2 modules at 166 mhz passes in dual channel mode.

2 modules at 200 mhz fails in dual and single channel mode.

Testing each module 1 at a time at 200 MHz passes.

Testing each module 1 at a time at 250 MHz fails.

• Corsair Employees

Yes the settings you are trying to use from what it looks will likely fail.

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts

Memory Frequency: 200 MHz

Then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

You know what, I already ran a that test at 2.8 Volts and it passed testing each module individually, If you had bothered actually reading what I just said in my last post you would have realized that. Also they failed in dual and single channel mode with two modules, this particular motherboard doesn't have the ability to step it down only .05 volts.

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of dealing with Corsair on this issue, if you had a storefront and I handed you the bad modules as a customer, you wouldn't have any problem taking them back.

I have already spent over 30 hours testing these modules, just sitting here watching my computer count off numbers and letters in a dos REALLY SUCKS.

I have no more time or patience to deal with Corsair "tech support", and I will not be buying your products any longer.

Thanks for costing me $275 that I could not afford to loose.

Have a nice ********** day.

• 1 month later...

Archived