Corsair Community

single sticks won't boot, running both won't past memtest

NateS

I have 2x1b Corsair 8500D, E6600, and EVGA 680i. Running at 2.2v, 5-5-5-15, 1066mhz, and both sticks it fails memtest86+. If I run either of the sticks alone then the computer fails to boot and reverts to CMOS defaults. If I reduce the speed to 800mhz then I can run both sticks or either stick alone and pass memtest.

Is this most likely a ram problem?

I have submitted case #129756, however this is my only computer so I don't want to go without it for 4+ days waiting for the replacement ram. Is it possible for me to purchase the replacement ram and receive a refund when you receive my old ram?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? And please tell me the make and model of your PSU as well.

Thanks for the reply. Here are all the components in my system...

Corsair Dominator 2x1gb DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ram

Corsair CMXAF1 ram fans

Antec NEO HE 550w PSU

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor

Scythe Ninja Plus (rev B) CPU heatsink

eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR nForce 680i motherboard

eVGA southbridge fan

nVidia GeForce 8800GTS video card

AuzenTech HDA XPlosion 7.1 DTS encoding sound card

74gb Raptor HDD

Pioneer slot DVD drive

Antec P180 case

The case has 12 fans all running at 100% (5x120mm fans, 3x60mm ram fans, PSU fan, NB fan, SB fan, video card). I should not be having any heat issues. Here is a pic of the system (doesn't show the SB fan, ram fans, or one of the 120mm fans)...

http://n4te.com/images/newcomputer/install.jpg

Here are the specs for the Antec NEO HE 550w PSU:

http://www.antec.com/specs/NeoHE550_spe.html

The CPU is the Intel E6600 dual core and runs at 2.4ghz with a 1066mhz FSB. I have it running at its specs of 266x9.

Are there specific bios settings you would like to know about? Here are most of the settings I am using...

CPU is at 9x multiplier (default).

FSB is set to 1066mhz (default).

Memory clock mode is unlinked.

Memory speed is set to 1066mhz (default).

Memory timing is set to expert and 5-5-5-15-2T.

Advanced memory timing tRRD, tRC, tWR, tWTR, tREF are all set to auto (default).

All three PCIe slots are set to 100mhz (default).

SPP<->MCP clock is set to 200mhz (default).

HT multipliers SPP->MCP and SPP<-MCP are set to 5x (default).

Spread spectrum is off.

LinkBoost is off.

Limit CPUID maxval is disabled.

CPU thermal control is off.

C1E Enhanced halt state is off.

CPU core is 1.4v.

CPU FSB is 1.5v.

Memory is 2.2v.

SPP is 1.45v.

MCP is 1.55v.

SPP<->MCP is 1.45v.

Both cores are enabled.

Execute disable bit is enabled.

Virtualization technology is enabled.

System bios cacheable is disabled.

HPET function is enabled.

All fans set to manual 100%.

Here are the problems I have been having since I put together the system 4 months ago...

Problem I: Powering on after clearing the CMOS

It won't boot after clearing the CMOS. It powers off immediately after I power it on. After many tries, eventually it succeeds.

Problem II: Cold booting randomly fails

Even once the ram has the right 2.2v, the PC will not cold boot. The motherboard reports C1, 1D, 2B, 75, and probably others. After many tries or leaving it off for hours, it eventually boots.

Problem III: System instability

When the system boots, it is stable for 5 minutes to 48+ hours. Stable mean it passes memtest86, Orthos, 3DMark, etc. After that the system starts locking up and cannot pass the same benchmarks that it could pass before. If I power it down all the way, I run into Problem I or Problem II. After fighting with these problems as explained above (sometimes it takes days!), eventually the system will post and achieve stability until Problem III occurs again.

I had been running on only a single stick of ram at 800mhz and with the CPU underclocked for about a month because it was the most stable. I recently flashed the mobo bios to the latest (from P25 to P27). I have only done about 5 cold boots, but it seems Problem II has gone away. I haven't cleared the CMOS, but I doubt Problem I has gone away. I can live with that (I rarely clear the CMOS). After the flash to P27 I decided to try to get the system stable again. This is where I ran into problems with the ram not running at specs.

Thanks for your help! I really would be so happy to have my system working like it should.

• Corsair Employees

What you have posted would suggest some other problem, most likely a power problem. Memory will pass or fail I have never seen memory be intermittent ever. If it is it would most likely be a socket problem or loose connection. But what you have posted would suggest some type of power problem either on the MB or with your PSU.

Are you running this threw a APC? If so please try the system just threw a searge protector. Also I would remove the sound card and any other PCI card for testing.

Neither have I. Imagine my frustration with this illogical system!

The system is plugged directly into the wall, no surge protector. We have pretty reliable power here in Seattle.

Good idea, I will remove the sound card for my testing.

Problem I is most likely due to the default voltage after clearing the CMOS being too low. This I can deal with.

Problem II is wierd. Most likely some motherboard bios problem. I will verify tonight if this problem has gone away. Man I hope it has gone forever!

Problem III is probably what you were referring to when you said it sounds like a PSU problem? I agree, that is quite plausible. I will go to a local store tonight and purchase a new PSU to try out. However, if the ram still won't pass memtest, then I won't be able to run my system at specs, so I won't be able to tell if the system is stable at specs.

While I have had intermittent problems in the past, I suppose it is possible for the memory to have actually died now. I will play around more and see if I can get it stable again, though everything I have tried so far has failed at that.

Is it possible to do cross shipping on replacement ram? I would really like to try a different set, but I don't want to go without a computer. I would be willing to pay a small premium for such a service. Would you suggest replacing the 8500D with the same model? Do you think a different model would perform better or more stable with my setup? I would be willing to pay a little more (maybe $40-50?) for something that worked better.

Thanks again for your help.

• Corsair Employees

I am not sure that is an option as we do not sell direct, but you an ask our customer service if there any thing they can do to speed up the process and we can try replacing the module I don't have a problem with that.

Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

Once you get the RMA just call us back at 888-222-4346 and ask for Customer service.

I have submitted to Tech Support Express (case 129756). I just received my RMA Approved email and I'm waiting for the RMA confirmation mail. Once I get it I'll call that number and see if they can help. Thanks!

Do you think I should replace the ram with another set of 8500D? Is there an 800mhz ram with tighter timings that will give me the same performance? This motherboard seems to be happier running the memory at 800mhz... :[pouts:

Ok, I'll stay with what I have.

I replaced the PSU, but it didn't help anything. The booting related problems are gone, I think from the bios update. The memory still doesn't boot with either single stick, and both stick together boot but don't pass memtest at 2.2v, 5-5-5-15, and 1066mhz. I found that they will pass memtest at 2.3v, 5-5-5-15, and 1066mhz, so it seems like the ram went bad. :[pouts:

I called because I haven't recieved my RMA confirmation email yet. They had to take all my information again (not sure why they couldn't use the Tech Support Express case number?) and sent me the email. I am shipping the ram out right now, next day air. I sure hope the replacement comes soon! When I called they said that the will ship it back next day air.

Thanks for your help!

Archived