Corsair Community

Ram Guy--please answer this.

Osage923

I have a 2 memory slot mobo capable of PC3200 with a socket 754 processor. So dual channel is not an option. Presently the FIRST memory slot is populated by corsair vs512mb400 ram and the SECOND memory slot is populated by 256MB of rather junkie Nanya ram supposedly capable of PC 3200 speeds and 3-3-3-8 2T timings. Playing with manual bios settings sometimes achieves memory through puts at benchmarked PC 3200 speeds with that combination, but the long and short of it is that the settings never last, and that sooner or later that ram combination downclocks to less than PC2100 speeds.

And at long last I have finally found a bargain---a brand new virgin stick of corsair VS1GB400C3---and soon--very soon---that stick of nanya junk ram will be ancient history--and hopefully I will achieve stable PC3200 ram speeds of pc3200 in either spd or manual bios settings.

Immediate questions.

1. In a single channel PC3200 set up---does it make any difference at all if the larger 1GB stick of ram is in slot one or slot 2?---when I use both the corsair 512mb stick and the corsair IGB stick to effectively double my memory from 768MB to 1.5 GB?

2. I will still have a slight memory incomparability---the 512MB stick carries a timing of 2.5-3-3-8 2T and the 1GB stick carries a timing of 3-3-3-8 2T---so the cl is slightly different---but if the 512MB stick smoothly downclocks to cl3 without any other adverse effects---I will be a happy camper--but if it downclocks to less than PC3200 speeds and takes the 1GB stick with it---I will not be a happy camper. SO ram guy---in de history of the world--has that ever happened with any mobo?

• Corsair Employees
Thank you for your interest in our products. We do not recommend mixing and matching any modules together as it can cause many problems. My suggestion would be to add only what you currently have in your system to the exact part number.

Thank you for answering one question---namely that either way---I may be in the same place---I could have bought another identical stick of vs512mb400 for a hair cheaper---had a system with a total one GB of ram after I remove the nanya stick.----but because I got a real bargain on a brand new stick of vs1gb400c3---I still have a system with 1GB of total ram if I pitch the nanya stick and get serious downclocking if I leave the the vs512mb400 in the system.---and remove it also-- Nor does Corsair even make vs1gb400c2.5 for that matter.---but I do note corsair does make vs512mb400c3--and would that be more compatible?

The question you totally ducked is "1. In a single channel PC3200 set up---does it make any difference at all if the larger 1GB stick of ram is in slot one or slot 2?---when I use both the corsair 512mb stick and the corsair IGB stick to effectively double my memory from 768MB to 1.5 GB?"

Another question you ducked from a previous post of mine---and now the same question comes up again from another poster. And that question is, what happens when corsair vs512mb400 is used in a mobo only capable of PC2100---I note that separate poster has done his homework and has a range of answers from previous posts--- with the answers ranging from not recommended, it may not post, all the way to should work fine. But what I find hard to believe is that NO REAL WORLD EXAMPLE is given---and I would think that would be child's play for corsair---who can surely find some PC2100 computers---and try it in a variety of mobo's---and also post what timings it downclocked to if it worked at all--2.5-3-3-8 2T timing are not all that bad for PC3200 but are positively doggish when compared to normal PC2100 timings.

• Corsair Employees
The question you totally ducked is "1. In a single channel PC3200 set up---does it make any difference at all if the larger 1GB stick of ram is in slot one or slot 2?---when I use both the corsair 512mb stick and the corsair IGB stick to effectively double my memory from 768MB to 1.5 GB?"

A: I am sorry but you missed what we are trying to tell you I think.

You should never mix memory and mixing a Cas 2.5 part and a Cas 3 part in the same system will likely not post or if it does it may only run at DDR266, and there are just too many possible problems to try and address them, if you want to try it please go ahead but its at your own risk.

Another question you ducked from a previous post of mine---and now the same question comes up again from another poster. And that question is, what happens when corsair vs512mb400 is used in a mobo only capable of PC2100---I note that separate poster has done his homework and has a range of answers from previous posts--- with the answers ranging from not recommended, it may not post, all the way to should work fine. But what I find hard to believe is that NO REAL WORLD EXAMPLE is given---and I would think that would be child's play for corsair---who can surely find some PC2100 computers---and try it in a variety of mobo's---and also post what timings it downclocked to if it worked at all--2.5-3-3-8 2T timing are not all that bad for PC3200 but are positively doggish when compared to normal PC2100 timings.

A: It's not that I or we are ducking your questions, just you are asking me to teach you about computers and that is not my responsibility. I am sorry I can answer direct questions but I usually will not address "What If" Questions, to many possible reason it might not work

Will it work? Maybe just have to try it, but the problem may be that if you buy them and they don't work you cant send them back

Many MB's do not have the information in the Bios to decode a fast modules SPD and in that case will just not post, and the other issue is some modules depending on the part# will only have the SPD information for DDR333 and DDR400.

To ram Guy,

While I fully realize its almost impossible to give totally hard an definitive answers given the almost infinite number of possible permutations of motherboards and ram, you are still extremely slippery and seem to be unwilling to give any useful real world information.

And you still duck the first question------lets me hypothetically rephrase it---Lets say I have a two slot memory mobo capable of pc3200 only capable of single channel. I have a stick of corsair VS1GB400 and a stick of VS512MB400C3---and now I am not mixing cas 2.5 with cas3------does it then make any difference at all if the IGB stick is in slot one or two? Or should the IGB stick always be put in slot one and the stick with less capacity should always be in slot 2.---if nothing else---please answer that question.

In my more real world example---and I do live in the real world--I presently have just the situation you describe--I am mixing cas 2.5 and 3--and mixing brands and MB capacities (a 512MB and a 256MB)---and getting very spotty results---I can sometimes get my bios to run them both at PC3200---but for some reason they soon downclock to exactly that pc2100 speed you describe after a number of reboots. With removing the 256 MB stick not a very good option---even if I can get the corsair vs512mb400 to run at the stable rated speed of 3-3-3-8---because I am then ram starved after sharing 64MB or more with my on board video chip.----but with the extreme bargain I got on a stick of corsair vs1gb400 I will end up with mixing cas latencies of 2.5 and 3.

And will indeed find out if they will give me at least stable PC3200 speeds when used in combination-----and even if I have to remove the vs512mb400

to get the corsair vs1gb400 to run stable at pc3200---I have gained 256 mb total ram at the cost of a half a clock in cas.--and have gained about 50% compared to running what I had at PC2100.

Now lets say you are indeed correct and I have to remove the vs512mb400 to get to stable------now I have this stick of perfectly good vs512mb400---and its just too light to be a useful for a boat anchor.---and a stick of 256 mb nanya also for that matter.

Which leads into question 2---------My wife has a computer with a asus board---again 2 memory slots already populated with 256 MB each---but this board is only capable of PC2100---and corsair own memory configerator says it is compatible with vs512mb266.---and I get this bright idea---maybe I can put the corsair vs512mb400 in one of her slots and suddenly she MIGHT get a computer that has 768 MB memory instead of 512 MB memory----in this case a zero cost gamble unless physical damage is caused---all I invest is some time and effort.---and if it does not work---I just replace the 256 mb module I removed and she is back where she was.

After reading the back posts its pretty clear that given a system like a IBM or a dell---something with a propitiatory bios in a PC2100 board-----such a set up will almost certainly NEVER WORK.

But in the case of an asus board or any number of similar boards without a propitiatory bios---the question is will it similarly NEVER WORK---in which case its not even worth trying------or will its SOMETIMES WORK AND SOMETIMES NOT.---in which case I may give it a try.

• Corsair Employees
And you still duck the first question------lets me hypothetically rephrase it---Lets say I have a two slot memory mobo capable of pc3200 only capable of single channel. I have a stick of corsair VS1GB400 and a stick of VS512MB400C3---and now I am not mixing cas 2.5 with cas3------does it then make any difference at all if the IGB stick is in slot one or two? Or should the IGB stick always be put in slot one and the stick with less capacity should always be in slot 2.---if nothing else---please answer that question.

I am sorry but I have answered your question,

Mixing modules of different densities would be the same; hit and miss sometimes it works, sometimes it will not.

You should never mix memory and mixing a Cas 2.5 part and a Cas 3 part in the same system will likely not post or if it does it may only run at DDR266, and there are just too many possible problems to try and address them, if you want to try it please go ahead but its at your own risk.

Which leads into question 2---------My wife has a computer with a asus board---again 2 memory slots already populated with 256 MB each---but this board is only capable of PC2100---and corsair own memory configerator says it is compatible with vs512mb266.---and I get this bright idea---maybe I can put the corsair vs512mb400 in one of her slots and suddenly she MIGHT get a computer that has 768 MB memory instead of 512 MB memory----in this case a zero cost gamble unless physical damage is caused---all I invest is some time and effort.---and if it does not work---I just replace the 256 mb module I removed and she is back where she was.

Again, its still mixing memory and sometimes it works sometimes however it will not just try it the best advice I can give you.

Ran across an odd post in another forum that may be relevant---in this case someone has a pc3200 mobo---and two sticks of corsair vs512mb400. But bought at different times and not as a kit. The post contained screen shots of cpu-z in spd mode for both sticks of ram. The slot 2 stick showed 200mz timings

of the standard 2.5-3-3-8 timings. As did the stick in slot 1. But only the slot one stick also displayed a timing for 133mhz of 2-2-2-6.

Sadly cpu-z did not display ram manufacture date---and at this writing its not clear if the computer was running its memory at 133mhz or 200mhz bus speed.

But now I wonder how much manufacture date is another joker in the deck. If more data comes in, I will try to update the thread.

And my ram is not yet in due to a shipping glitch--once I find how the different corsair runs, I will also update the thread.

My gig stick of ram finally arrived---I pitched the nanya stick, moved the 512mb stick of vs512mb400 to slot 2, installed the vs1gb400c3 in slot 1, and fired it up after setting the bios to what I thought were safe settings. The PC bootd up and recognized all 1532 mb of ram--but as predicted it downclocked to a PC2100

memory bus---and after running through five other bios settings, I was still unable to get over that pc2100 hill.

But try #6 got me to PC3200--no errors in memtest86--and I will see if the bios stays happy or tries to later reset and downclock.

Resulting settings---overclock on pcie async, pc3200 selected, memory compatibility disabled, and all memory timings on auto. Cpu-z reports timings of 2.5-3-3-7@2T-------maybe a slight OC of corsair stock settings but I have had the corsair vd512mb400 running stable for quite some time previous at exactly that settings.

Maybe a quirk of the mobo---but it refuses to use 3-3-3-8 without downclocking to a PC2100 bus.

Since each module is listed as 2 ranks and 4 banks, it will be hard for me to exceed 4 ranks in an only 2 memory slot mobo.

But right now---I have only 2 bottom line questions if the bios does not make a habit of resetting on me.

A. Since I am happily running at 2.5-3-3-7 with both modules at pc3200---its a very slight overclock for the vs512mb400 with stock specs of 2.5-3-3-8---and a slightly bigger overclock for the vs1gb400c3 with stock spec of 3-3-3-8. Since I last posted I went to town to do some shopping---letting the computer run five full reps of all 8 memtest86s---with no errors.-------but since value ram is not made for overclocking---are these settings safe---or do I risk physically damaging them over time?--and for what its worth ram voltage is on auto.--which I assume is 2.5 volts.

B. While I would prefer stock settings of 3-3-3-8 safety wise--for some reason my mobo will not allow that setting without downclocking to pc2100.

Can any shed any light on why my mobo and bios behave that way?

• Corsair Employees

A. Since I am happily running at 2.5-3-3-7 with both modules at pc3200---its a very slight overclock for the vs512mb400 with stock specs of 2.5-3-3-8---and a slightly bigger overclock for the vs1gb400c3 with stock spec of 3-3-3-8. Since I last posted I went to town to do some shopping---letting the computer run five full reps of all 8 memtest86s---with no errors.-------but since value ram is not made for overclocking---are these settings safe---or do I risk physically damaging them over time?--and for what its worth ram voltage is on auto.--which I assume is 2.5 volts.

A: I would set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts with these setting but if the system is stable and will pass http://www.memtest.org then you are good to go, just dont use more than 2.9 Volts and you will be OK and if they should fail we will replace them.

B. While I would prefer stock settings of 3-3-3-8 safety wise--for some reason my mobo will not allow that setting without downclocking to pc2100.

Can any shed any light on why my mobo and bios behave that way?

A: I think that is because you are mixing memory, try just the VS1GB400C3 module by it self and see if you can set the timings.

To ram Guy,

Thank you for your continued interests in my set up. But after running for five days and rock stable at that--with 1.5 gigs of ram up and working at pc3200--I come from the if it ain't broke don't fix it school of thought.---and it beats my previous configuration of running 768 mb of ram that was not stable and liked to reset itself to a pc2100 memory bus with annoying frequency.

But I note you recommend stepping up the voltage---and I have no benchmark programs that even tell me exactly what voltage my ram is running now---with my asrock mobo bios only having having dram ram voltage settings of auto, low, normal, high, and ultra high.

Are there benchmarking programs that will provide an independent measure of dram voltages? Or must one rely on the bios to set those voltages and then take it on blind faith that those settings are being correctly applied?

Archived