Corsair Community

2xtwinx 6400C4 (4GB) ASUS P5W DH Deluxe memtest errors

lukx

I got ASUS p5w DH Deluxe with 4GB of Corsair 6400C4 (twinx modules-pairs).

Intel E6700 CPU, EVGA 8800 GTX ACS3. Seasonic m12 700W PSU. All settings in BIOS 1901 were AUTO.

I run pc for few months without problem. Few days ago I changed cooling to Scythe Infinity. When for the first time started pc it hanged after bios post. Then I managed to get to screen where I can choose to start windows in safe mode or last known good settings. But after choosing any option pc again hanged.After many tries I removed one ram and started pc (3GB)... it booted without problem, windows loaded etc. I puted ram inside again and booted also without problem (all 4GB). So I decided to run memtest3.2 (setings BIOS AUTO no OC etc.). After few minutes it gave me error. I rebooted and turned off usb legacy and start memtest3.2 again. After around 6 hours (5 PASS or more) I got 1 error. I tested each memory with memtest86+ 1.7 by itself for 1 Pass (30 minutes) and no errors. I testes one memory in all slots for 1 Pass also no errors. I set in BIOS settings like on memory: 800Mhz, 4-4-4-12 (4 write recovery like was in corsair test). voltage 2.1 and after few seconds got 2 errors in memtest86+ 1.7. I set write rec to 5 and send it again, and now it's running for 30 mins and no errors but will live it for the night. I don't knwo what to do. I don't knwo which pair to give back to replace which one is faulty ( is still got warranty form the shop where I got it). Or maybe it's my mainboard? I don't have to much time to test it. Is there any particular test I can run to make sure which ram is faulty or if I shoud RMA my mainboard?

• Corsair Employee
With your motherboard/CPU configuration you will only be able to run the RAM at a max of 667mhz (and possibly only 533), this is a limitation of the memory controller on the motherboard. I would suggest that you reset the BIOS to optimized/system defaults, set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and leave the timings at the default SPD settings, and then test all the modules at the same time using the newest version of memtest! Don't forget to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test. Let me know your results!

I really don't mind running them at 667. During first test all bios settings were at auto and ram was 667 5-5-5-15 in mmetest but still got errors. I tested each stick spearate on 4 other computers for 15h with memtest and there were 0 errors. On my mainboard I tested 4gb of other brand memory for 15h and also 0 errors. Right now I'm running again your crosair with auto timings but 2.0 voltage will see what happens. I really don't understand that. Maybe those sticks just don't like my mainboard?!

I run again 4gb crosair on my mobo with auto settings for everything (667 5-5-5-15) and got error again. I tried was trying mixing the chips in slots but still got error after some time. I realy don't understand why each stick on it's own doesn't give any errors!!! How I can know which pair to RMA?! I think I will sell it and get corsair 667 or soem other brand that I already testetd and it works.

Yes I disabled usb legacy. I tried voltages from 1.9 to 2.1 and all gave me errors. Errors are quite random.Sometimes it's few seconds after starting memtest, soemtimes after test 5 sometimes 7 sometimes 2. As I said I tested this ram on another computer and there was no problem. I gave up and I decided to sell it and buy 667 from other brand. Anyway thank you fro help.

• Corsair Employee
Random errors would suggest some other problem, most likely a power problem, and with 4 modules the system would need to provide about 45 Watts just for memory. But I wish you the best with other modules.

Archived