Corsair Community

Bad memory or bad motherboard?

Amanda

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with an

AMD Athlon 2.1 GHz 64X2 4000+, XMS2 DDR2 CM2X1024-6400

Right, so here's what's going on--My computer does this thing where it will cycle off five seconds after starting, or starts to restart itself even without any applications running. At first, I thought it was a power supply issue, since the only way I found to get it to work again was to unplug the main harness from power supply to the motherboard and then reconnect it. It would work for a while, but then I would have to unplug it again a few days later.

I contacted the power supply company and one of them suggested fooling with the memory. So, this morning, I discovered that if I removed the one stick of memory, the computer seemed to start fine. I replaced it and removed the other, same result. Putting them back in their original places resulted in the issue where the computer cycles off, but swapping the two sticks with each other also seems to make the computer run fine.

Since I tried it just this morning, I don't know if it's a temporary or permanent fix, but I figured you all would know about that a bit better than I.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived