Corsair Community

Concerns about TWIN2X2048-6400XXX

JDAM

RAM GUY,

1. In a previous post you stated “First thing the return rate is less that .02% of what we sell, you have to look at the volume we sell, most of the issues have been improper settings not being set or some other issue if you really look”.

What you are saying is that only 1:5000 pairs TWIN2X2048-6400XXX arrives DOA.

I have to disagree with the first part of that statement. You would have to be selling something like 15000 packages of TWIN2X2048-6400XXX a day based on strictly the number of DOA complaints I see on this Forum. That doesn’t include the complaints like “my memory died after two weeks”.

.02% maybe true for all Corsair products combined.

2. The SPD timing information for is 5-5-5-18 at 1.8V yet the RAM is advertised values are 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V. This is misleading because nowhere on the packaging does it state that the 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 is an over clocked state. Some would even consider this false advertising.

SPD definition (from the corsair website): Serial Presence Detect When a computer is booted, serial presence detect (SPD) is information stored in an electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EPROM) chip on a synchronous dynamic random access memory (SDRAM) memory module that tells the basic input/output system (BIOS) the module's size, data width, speed, and voltage.

• Corsair Employees

1. In a previous post you stated “First thing the return rate is less that .02% of what we sell, you have to look at the volume we sell, most of the issues have been improper settings not being set or some other issue if you really look”.

What you are saying is that only 1:5000 pairs TWIN2X2048-6400XXX arrives DOA.

I have to disagree with the first part of that statement. You would have to be selling something like 15000 packages of TWIN2X2048-6400XXX a day based on strictly the number of DOA complaints I see on this Forum. That doesn’t include the complaints like “my memory died after two weeks”.

.02% maybe true for all Corsair products combined.

A: the return rate is based on the actual number returned against what we sell every week not how many people might be posting on the forum, and yes the Volume is more that 50K per week of all of our DDR2 modules.

2. The SPD timing information for is 5-5-5-18 at 1.8V yet the RAM is advertised values are 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V. This is misleading because nowhere on the packaging does it state that the 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 is an over clocked state. Some would even consider this false advertising.

A: This is stated on the Data Sheet and posted in XMS Qualification and Testing! The tested settings would need to be manually set. Because many of our Aggressive modules have voltage requirements if we set that in the SPD many MB would not post.

SPD definition (from the corsair website): Serial Presence Detect When a computer is booted, serial presence detect (SPD) is information stored in an electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EPROM) chip on a synchronous dynamic random access memory (SDRAM) memory module that tells the basic input/output system (BIOS) the module's size, data width, speed, and voltage.

A: Yes that is correct however many MB's will ignore the voltage part of the SPD and one reason that NVIDIA and our selves developed EPP technology

Let me clarify we are talking about TWIN2X2048-6400XXX specifically not DDR or any of your other product lines.

50,000 units per week sounds a pretty big number considering the big boys aren’t offering models with PC6400.

The data sheet is not printed on the package nor posted at my vendors web site which also specs TWIN2X2048-6400XXX at 4-4-4-12 2.1V.

Is this a common practice for the other memory vendors?

Why am I concerned? Many people speculate my 680i motherboard is a memory killer the last thing I want to do is push the RAM above 100%. I choose TWIN2X2048-6400C4D for that reason. I though I would have some breathing room.

• Corsair Employees

Let me clarify we are talking about TWIN2X2048-6400XXX specifically not DDR or any of your other product lines.

50,000 units per week sounds a pretty big number considering the big boys aren’t offering models with PC6400.

A: XM2S-6400XXX parts ship a large Volume per week yes on average. (XM2S-6400, XM2S-6400C4 including all variants Dominator and Pro or Xpert modules

The data sheet is not printed on the package nor posted at my vendors web site which also specs TWIN2X2048-6400XXX at 4-4-4-12 2.1V.

Is this a common practice for the other memory vendors?

A: The part from us is spec'ed and when released an announcement will go out and as I said the information is listed on more than one location. If we were to set the SPD with the tested settings again as I said most MB's would not post, a bit more research will verify this. As far as other manufacturers I cannot comment as we have never followed any one else and why we are considered a leader in memory module technology. In addition, more than likely why we have been in the for front with manufacturers in product development of new MB's

Why am I concerned? Many people speculate my 680i motherboard is a memory killer the last thing I want to do is push the RAM above 100%. I choose TWIN2X2048-6400C4D for that reason. I though I would have some breathing room.

A: While I have seen this type of report I have to refrain from comments directly related as that would be for the respective manufacture to address.

As far as we are concerned as long as you do not over volt the modules beyond the tested settings should they ever fail we will repair/replace them for the life of the module.

• Corsair Employees

JDAM

I have explained this did you not catch what I posted previously?

A: The part from us is spec'ed and when released an announcement will go out and as I said the information is listed on more than one location. If we were to set the SPD with the tested settings again as I said most MB's would not post, a bit more research will verify this. As far as other manufacturers I cannot comment as we have never followed any one else and why we are considered a leader in memory module technology. In addition, more than likely why we have been in the for front with manufacturers in product development of new MB's

A: This is stated on the Data Sheet and posted in XMS Qualification and Testing! The tested settings would need to be manually set. Because many of our Aggressive modules have voltage requirements if we set that in the SPD many MB's would not post.

• 3 weeks later...

I understood what you said I was not disagreeing with you.

Let me rephrase I have read a number of reviews where the reviewer has incorrectly stated that when they installed their memory, it was not correctly identified by the BIOS because the timing did not default to the correct value. When in fact the manufacture intentionally SPD EPROM timing values lower than the advertised rate to ensure the RAM will post. Corsair is not the only manufacture who does this.

Archived