Corsair Community

Unable to POST, RAM is probably fried

moogoo

I had an issue with my old apartment where there would be power surges during storms that would make the power turn off and on again and again within a span of 10 seconds. It blew out my speakers and had to throw them out and noticeably took its effects on my system, although my system did survive for a few months after I moved, but it was noticeably slower and had more problems.

One day, it just died. I got no video and was unable to POST at all (i.e. no beeps regardless of what i had connected). The former mobo was an ASUS P5WD2-E premium. Knowing that the mobo had died I got a replacement for it and went with the P5WDH Deluxe. With the CPU seated and nothing else, I get a POST beep consisting of one long beep, two short beeps. This means memory failure from what I've read. When I seat my Twin XMS2 PC6400 1GB sticks, I get no POST beeps at all and the system shuts itself down after about 20 seconds. I've tried using only one of the sticks and tried each of the DIMM slots with the same results. In the end, no RAM seated = BEEPS, RAM seated = NOTHING. I have concluded that the RAM must be bad.

I would like to RMA it and get some new ones but a requirement is to post here. Hell, if i can find a solution to this w/o RMAing, that would be the best, but I have a feeling this situation can only be bad memory. Help!

• Corsair Employees
If you are getting the same error with both modules one at a time that would suggest some other problem, I would try the modules again one at a time and you might try and reset the MB bios with the CLRTC jumper and see if it will post, and if it does then set the memory Frequency at DDR667 and set the memory voltage to 2.0 Volts then test them with http://www.memtest.org, but with the CPU you have you would need to run the memory frequency at DDR667.

I forgot to mention that I had tried clearing the CMOS with both sticks in, before both sticks are in, with one stick in, before one stick is in (for both sticks) and had the same results of no POST.

I've checked my power sources and made sure everything is plugged in the way it should be. i just don't get any post beeps when memory is seated. it's extremely frustrating.

this is kind of unrelated, but since you brought it up, how come I can only run the memory at 667mhz when my CPU bus speed is 800mhz?

anyway, I would really like to resolve this. if you have anymore suggestions or questions, fire away. otherwise, i'd like to RMA and try a new set. Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees

DDR2 Memory runs at:

DDR2-533 = 266 Clock Frequency 2 X 266 = DDR2 533

DDR2-667 = 333 Clock Frequency 2 X 333 = DDR2 667

DDR2-800 = 400 Clock Frequency 2 X 400 = DDR2 800

DDR2-1066 = 533Clock Frequency 2 X 533 = DDR2 1066

Intel CPU:

533 MHz = 133 MHz Clock Freq. 133 X 4

800 MHz = 200 MHz Clock Freq. 200 X 4

1066 MHz = 266 MHz Clock Freq. 266 x 4

You would need to be running a 1066 FSB CPU to run the memory at DDR800.

okay. i see.

well, I can't even post to get into the BIOs to make the appropriate changes... do you have any other suggestions? I've tried everything I could think of and have read a million forums it seems like and have tried everything that seems like my situation.

Do you have any other ideas? or can I RMA these sticks....

thanks for your reply

i tried with each module. first with nothing seated. i removed the battery, moved the jumper and moved it back, replaced the battery. then inserted one stick into slot A1. powered on and was unable to POST. did the same with the stick already in slot A1. tried the same with the other stick and repeated the process in slot B1.

was unable to post with any of those situations. i am truly frustrated! if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

i'm at the point where i want to just order some new memory to try, but since these are covered under warranty i would like to take advantage of it. please let me know if you have other suggestions. i'll try anything!

• Corsair Employees
I would see if the reseller will let you send these back and get DDR667 memory instead, if they will not help you then you can contact our customer service on Monday and seee if there is anything they can do

Archived