Corsair Community

Bad 1GB Stick of XMS Platinum Series

Here it goes. I built this PC over a year ago using two strips of this 1 GB XMS Platinum Series RAM PC3200 400 MHz. Recently My OS crashed due to some write error. I went to reformat after this, as I was going to anyways in the not too distant future. I had been running windows XP and again went to reformat with it. It would post and start the install of windows, in the midst of loading the files needed to reboot and continue installation it would NEVER be able to copy files. I actually never recieved any faults on this other then not being able to run an install.

I went and got a new version of Vista. This actually was very helpful for me. I got the blue screen of death and went to microsoft.com and punched in the codes I kept recieving(ended up being 3 reoccuring codes). Each one had to do with hardware malfunction and suggested testing memory.

So, to test, I removed the memory and reinstalled 1 strip in the motherboards single DIMM suggested location. put everything back together correctly, started the PC with cd and continued to get the same errors. Turned off the PC, swapped out the 1st strip with the 2nd oneinto the same DIMM, ran the PC and eureka, I am now back and operational and able to type this wonderful post as required to obtain an RMA#.

As far as obtaining an RMA from the vendor I was not able to because it has been over a year, however it is stated that the RAM is still under warranty. In which case, again, the reason for this post to refer to in my request. If there is any further work needed on my end toward this I would sincerely appreciate some help. Thanks for your time.

~SEAN~

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that the BIOS was also updated and fail safe defaults were applied on all parameters. Timing was never changed from defaults.

Both strips were purchased at the same time from the same vendor and are the same model/brand/size etcetera. In my preliminary testing only one strip was malfunctioning and the other one is the one currently working on the machine. I will further this testing and reply ASAP. Thanks again for your help!!!

~Sean~

• Corsair Employees
You need to load setup/optimized defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts like I stated previously then test them one at a time. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Doing as you asked, I ran the test on the current, what was expected to be good, stick of RAM. Everything checked out ok for two passes.

After that, I installed the "bad" stick of RAM, as expected, the RAM came back with over 950,000 errors in one pass.

If there is any further instructions, please inform me. I had already submitted a RMA request in lou of the original post. Thanks for your time and I appreciate your help in this matter.

~Sean~

Would you like me to send both sticks of RAM in??? One is perfectly fine however, I would like to make sure I have two identical sticks running in my system. Although, then I will have no computer for the time taken to send, recieve, process, ship and get the memory back. HOwever, I wouldn't mind dealing with the down time to make sure I have the appropriate hardware.

Thanks

~Sean~

Archived