Corsair Community

Bad RMA TWIN2x2048-6400

feds06

I am having problems with my RMA Returned Ram. I had a bad stick, that I sent back, now when I put the new ram in it also causes problems. Windows will not boot, just get blue screens and crashes. I have my times and voltage set to 5-5-5-12 T2 1.9v at 800MHZ.

I have tried letting the MB set everything, same thing happens. As soon as I pull the new ram out, the system works fine. I tested with all 4 sticks together in memtest, error on test 4. I test the 2 new stick 1 by 1 and they pass for 12 hours each.

This is the strange part, when I test the 2 new stick together in dual channel mode, my computer locks up before I can get into the bios. If I the 2 new sticks in single channel mode, they pass post and memtest passes.

My other 2 sticks (which have run great from the begining) still run fine in dual channel mode with no errors.

What is the problem, did I get sent 2 new bad sticks?

System details

E6600

Asus P5N32-SLI Premium

4x1 GB TWIN2x2048-6400

Forton 600w PS

7300 Geforce 256mb Video Card

Windows 2003 64bit R2

• Corsair Employees
With just the new modules installed go to Bios setup and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the timings manually to the tested settings. Also this MB would need to run the memory at DDR667 with 2 modules and DDR533 with 4 modules and then over clock the CPU.

MB is set to defaults, with only the 2 RMA returned sticks in I cannot pass post. Tried setting the voltage 1.9v, 2.0v and 2.1v with good sticks then switched to the RMA sticks again, still cannot post. Tried changing from 800mhz to 667 to 533, still same thing, have tried the test timings, timing that the asus forum says to try, still no go. All of these settings have worked with my good pair of ram. I can pass post with both RMA returned sticks in single channel and with either one of the sticks by them selves.

My 2 good sticks post in dual and have been running 24/7 since I bought them with no problems.

What else can I try?

In my opion these sticks are bad, if I have the same model of ram that is working in my system, then take them out and put these in which don't pass post, this tells me that these sticks are bad (or not as good as the other pair). Either way I have a $7000 dollar computer not able to run with all it's ram.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest reseting your motherboard to optimized/system defaults, then manually adjust the timings to 5-5-5-12 at 2.0 volts. Next, test the RMA returned module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived