rangz

I'm currently running:

Mobo: M2N32-SLI DELUXE Revision 0706 BIOS

Processor: AMD X2 Dual Core 4600+ @ 2.4ghz

Memory: corsair 2x1024mb pc6400c4 pair

Video: eVGA 8800GTX 768mb

Sound: SB X-Fi Platinum

PSU: Thermaltake 650watt

My system locks up all of the time, mostly in games. I am running the recommended settings 4-4-4-12 2T @ 2.1volts, SLImode: Disabled, and it hasn't helped at all. I ran memorytest for 9 hours straight last night without any errors. There are a ton of different advanced settings in the bios that I haven't touched. What should I do next?

Thanks,

Nick

• 5 months later...

M.B. - ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wi-Fi

CPU - AMD Athlon 64x2 4600+ Socket AM2 2.4ghz

RAM - Corsair 2GB XMS2- 6400 (800MHz) + LEDs

Video - Qty 2 B.F.G. 7900 GT OC 256MB in SLI Mode

Sound - S.B. Audigy 2 ZS EAX Sound Card

Storage - Qty 4 - WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptors paired in RAID 0,

Optical - 1 Plextor DVD 16x & 1 Sony dual layer DVD 16x

Power - "SilverStone 750W" / Modular Blue UV Cables

Case - Antec Lan-Boy Alluminum

Hello,

Everything was working flawlessly initially for a couple months. Then one of my memory modules went bad and the computer would not boot. Corsair replaced them and now I am having stability problems while playing games or running anything that really demands performance. I am a troubleshooter by nature and what I do for a living so I methodically started eliminating other possible causes. I am using the EA Games BF2 to evaluate this problem because it consistantly locks up about half way through a round, every round, and I have to reboot. I did not have a problem before the original MEM Module went bad. One thing I noted: Shortly before the MEM module went bad I started noticing little artifacts during the Windows XP boot up screen Like a few little pin holes in the black screen in various colors.

Also rendering anomolies during game play.

I had to first resist the temptation to immediatley say it was the replacement memory I got from Corsair. I removed the sound card. That wasn't it. I restored my computer from an earlier known good backup set using "Symantec Ghost". Thats not it. Checked each vid card individually by removing the other and running solo. Works better but still locks up occasionally. Something still is not right.

I have just received and installed a brand new BFG 8600 GT 256 MB to eliminate the Vid card as the source of the problem. On 1st and 2nd attempts got a blue screen and a lock up. Now I get the blue screen and sound squeals during BF2 game play. Also blue screen when shutting down Windows.

I installed a back up pair of PNY 1GB 667mhz ram and now everything runs well. I am back to suspecting the Corsair memory. I understand that I might need to adjust some settings to get the Corsair memory to run. The question is, why didn't I have to do so with my original pair of Corsair modules?

I've tried various settings on voltage and freqs. with the Corsair MEM but nothing has seemed to help. I've left the timings set at default and tried auto and manual set ups in the sytem bios. On my original pair of Corsair modules the system had rock solid stability. I could experiment with settings pretty much at will as long as I didn't go too far. the highest voltage I have ever put to the memory was 1.9v. Stayed conservative with the CPU also, not wanting to burn anything up. I want to try another MB but dont have the money for another SLI MB yet.

Any susggestions?

The higher end DRAM often needs a bit more voltage than the lower end DRAM. Please set your Vdimm to 2.0V - 2.1V with timings of 4-4-4-12 2T and retest.

Alrilght, I followed your suggestion and still having the same problem. Last night I downloaded and booted from a memtest86+ floppy and let it run for 8hrs. over night. No errors recorded. When I ran the stability test from the Nvidia console for 30 min a couple times this morning it went blue screen both times after about 10 min. I wrote down some of the info from the blue screens. I have no idea what it means but the two separate "death screens" I wrote down were Driver_IRQL_Not less or equal and Bad_Pool_Caller.

Right now I am restoring to a backup from March 2007 using Symantec Ghost when everything was running great! I put the BFG 7900GT OC vid card back in because that restore has those drivers on it. I will start testing again from there.

I would try the system with out the Sound card and see fi that error goes away, but most likely its a driver or BIOS issue if you are not getting errors in http://www.memtest.org.

Yes, I had removed the sound card in some of my previous T/S. That was not the cause. I am breathing a sigh of relief however. I found two problems. As you said, there must have been a driver issue or something else in the operating system corrupted. After I restored from a "Symantec Ghost" back up set I had from way back in March 2007 the stability problem disappeared.

The other problem with artifacts during EA games BF2 game play still was a problem. Especially when I installed the second vid card and ran it in SLI. The symptoms changed a bit each time I removed and re-installed the cards. This moved me toward looking at my PCIE slots using a strong light. Interestingly enough I discovered a tiny piece of debris in the bottom of the #1 PCIE slot. About 1/32" in diameter. After blowing that out and cleaning the slot contacts and the contacts on the vid cards all is working flawlessly.

Just to see where I was at now, stability wise, I moved the Multiplier down to 9 and the CPU freq to where it was driving the memory bus to over 1000 MHz. Just testing for a little while because I don't know if that is bad for the RAM. To run it way up at 1000 MHz. Anyway it performed impressively It ran BF2 perfectly for as long as that round lasted. About 20 mins. I backed everything down to where the Corsair memory is now running at 880Mhz. I think I'll just leave it there. I am happy to say it was not the memory after all! Or any bad hardware for that matter. :laughing:

Is it bad for the memory to run it that fast? 1000MHz + ? Even if it is stable there?

The issue is the voltage necessary to raise the DRAM to that speed. If you are no higher than 2.1v then you will be fine. Those are very likely ProMos sticks and they run 1000Mhz with 5-5-5-12 quite well. Be certain to have your system airflow working well so that the sticks do not run hot though. I use the fingertip touch test. I lightly touch the heatspreaders when running Memtest after a full round. If it is too hot to keep my finger on the stick, then I need active cooling. You might wish to look at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835704001

My specs are about the same, and I've had a bit of troubble installing two d-channel kits (4 Gigs total) in my machine, too. It seems only to work with 5-5-5-15 2T timings - all other crashes the system before SO enters...

Right now it's apparently stable, allthogh I haven't put it in heavy stress yet...

Anybody have any suggestions as to how I could change the timings - or maybe it isn't worth changing if this is the fastest they get. I don't thik so - how do I tell @ what speed the mem's are running?

My specs are about the same, and I've had a bit of troubble installing two d-channel kits (4 Gigs total) in my machine, too. It seems only to work with 5-5-5-15 2T timings - all other crashes the system before SO enters...

Right now it's apparently stable, allthogh I haven't put it in heavy stress yet...

Run memtest to be certain of your stability.

I wasn't aware of the memtest being a boot-up test. It had to be! I ran it Yesterday before resolving the new mem-kit issue, with an 'Ultimate BootCD' I got through a magazine, a few months ago; I think it was exactly the Memtest and I guess it was 1.65. You think it'll be worth making an all new bootCD just with the Memtest upgrade - is it all that different?

The issue is the voltage necessary to raise the DRAM to that speed. If you are no higher than 2.1v then you will be fine. Those are very likely ProMos sticks and they run 1000Mhz with 5-5-5-12 quite well. Be certain to have your system airflow working well so that the sticks do not run hot though. I use the fingertip touch test. I lightly touch the heatspreaders when running Memtest after a full round. If it is too hot to keep my finger on the stick, then I need active cooling. You might wish to look at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835704001

I have not really experitmented that much overclocking other brands of memory. This MB is the first one I've owned that allows this much flexibility with overclocking. I have to say though that I am very impressed at how well it runs beyond the 800MHz its rated at. I have had it up to past 1000MHz running stable. I had not even increased the voltage to 2.1v yet. I was amazed. Or should I be amazed? Is this commonly possible with all RAM brands? I have not really watched the temp that closely. Too bad they don't put temp monitors on the memory like they do with GPUs, MBs and CPUs. I like the fan set up on the NewEgg link you showed me. I think I'm going to get that just for added protection. Good price. Just hope its not loud. I think I may apply some of those self adhesive heat sinks on the outside surfaces of the heat spreaders also. Thanks for your help. :sunglasse

I have not really experitmented that much overclocking other brands of memory. This MB is the first one I've owned that allows this much flexibility with overclocking. I have to say though that I am very impressed at how well it runs beyond the 800MHz its rated at. I have had it up to past 1000MHz running stable. I had not even increased the voltage to 2.1v yet. I was amazed. Or should I be amazed? Is this commonly possible with all RAM brands? I have not really watched the temp that closely. Too bad they don't put temp monitors on the memory like they do with GPUs, MBs and CPUs. I like the fan set up on the NewEgg link you showed me. I think I'm going to get that just for added protection. Good price. Just hope its not loud. I think I may apply some of those self adhesive heat sinks on the outside surfaces of the heat spreaders also. Thanks for your help. :sunglasse

Most DRAM companies purchase pre-binned (tested for speed ability) and have no control over this process. Corsair purchases non speed tested lots of DRAM IC's and runs their own testing processes per single IC. This allows Corsair far more control over the headroom of the IC's and Corsair has a high headroom. It has been my experience also that the headroom on the overclock is far better than other brands and is also why Corsair has the fastest modules at the high end. I run my 8500C5's (and I have three sets for my home machines) in my gaming system at 1200MHz with 5-5-5-12 and have been doing so for over a year. They are on active cooling but are phenomenal. Now that DDR3 is out, the IC manufacturing companies are spending their time, R & D, etc. on DDR3 so we will unfortunately not find new higher end DRAM and so if people want high end DDR2, they had better be buying it soon.

If you get 1000Mhz with less than 2.1v, then you do indeed have a fine set of modules. No, do NOT expect this performance as it is still a YRMV (Your Results May Vary) when overclocking. I personally have found 1000Mhz quite easy on Corsair's 800Mhz modules with 5-5-5-12 and 2.1V. The fans are quite quiet.

Most DRAM companies purchase pre-binned (tested for speed ability) and have no control over this process. Corsair purchases non speed tested lots of DRAM IC's and runs their own testing processes per single IC. This allows Corsair far more control over the headroom of the IC's and Corsair has a high headroom. It has been my experience also that the headroom on the overclock is far better than other brands and is also why Corsair has the fastest modules at the high end. I run my 8500C5's (and I have three sets for my home machines) in my gaming system at 1200MHz with 5-5-5-12 and have been doing so for over a year. They are on active cooling but are phenomenal. Now that DDR3 is out, the IC manufacturing companies are spending their time, R & D, etc. on DDR3 so we will unfortunately not find new higher end DRAM and so if people want high end DDR2, they had better be buying it soon.

If you get 1000Mhz with less than 2.1v, then you do indeed have a fine set of modules. No, do NOT expect this performance as it is still a YRMV (Your Results May Vary) when overclocking. I personally have found 1000Mhz quite easy on Corsair's 800Mhz modules with 5-5-5-12 and 2.1V. The fans are quite quiet.

Thanks.. That is great information. Just the kind of explanation I was hoping for. What do you know about the availability of

DDR3? What pin config. is going to be required. Are we all going to have to buy new MBs? :bigeyes:

You're very welcome....

Edit:

In order:

1. DDR3 has the same number of pins as DDR2.
  2. DDR3 has a different key notch location.
  3. DDR2 sticks will never fit into DDR3 slots and vice versa. (See link attached)
  4. There will be some boards that will allow one to use either DDR2/DDR3 (but not both) (See link attached)

ie:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/memory/ddr3/slots.jpg&1=1

Archived