Corsair Community

Corsair XMS2 NOT compatible with DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI M2R/G

ulio

Corsair XMS2 is NOT Compatible with DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI M2R/G. We tested on 3 Lanparty UT N590 SLI M2R/G motherboards.

Corsair claims compatibility when recommending their memory module with this motherboard. Unfortunately, despite 1-2 weeks efforts we could not get Corsair XMS2 6400 modules to run in a stable and reliable manner at 800MHz in dual channel and occasionally in single channel.

Hence Corsair claims of compatibility is not a reliable point of purchase for motherboards. What is more important is to read Corsair's test reports on motherboards.

The problem is not on Corsair module, but of DFI's engineering and quality assurance process.

My previous experience with Corsair modules are that they are simply rock solid. However, that is different with COMPATIBILITY.

A brief conclusion at:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59306

• Corsair Employees

If I have read the post correctly, you have installed 4 modules and attempting to run at 800MHZ.

On all AM2 Systems, if you install 4 modules you will need to run the DDR Frequency at 667MHZ.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We have narrowed the problem down. The problem is with motherboard optimization. I got in touch with ABIT, DFI, ASUS, AMD and JETWAY engineers on this matter.

******** - KVR800D2N5K2/1G worked on the board mentioned.

It wasn't an issue with Corsair memory module, but the IC's characteristics and the board.

Problem exists on both INTEL and AMD platforms, 32/64bit OSes. The only motherboard without any issue is INTEL manufactured boards. Problem exists on Asus Striker Extreme as well.

Many motherboards did not do sufficient Design Verification Testing (DVT) with broad range of memory modules and ICs. We found most problems with late comers in DDR2-800 ICs, but not those who made early 800MHz engineering samples available for testing. Micron is one of those who provided early engineering samples.

The issue is found in many brands of memory modules and with the most expensive and the cheapest motherboards.

The problem is exacerbated with a combination of features found in DDR2. I cannot elaborate any more until the articles are published.

The problem is not with Corsair.

Nothing much can be done by you or the company.

I appreciate all the help you have provided. Thanks and good luck.

• Corsair Employees

I am not sure I would call it a problem, its just a limitation of the chipset's in general. There is more loading as you add memory with any un-buffered chipset, and when the system is fully loaded it may not perform as well as it will with 1 or 2 modules installed. This is nothing new and normal. We have tested several MB's in our Lab with 4 modules and like I stated with the chipset/platform you have with 4 modules I would suggest running the memory at DDR667 and set the Max voltage for the modules you are using for our that would be 2.1 Volts.

Reference Memory Basics Presentation.

There are numerous DDR2-800 modules in the market which are based on overclocked version of DDR2-667. These modules do not perform in a stable manner on the JEDEC standard of 1.8v. Most of these memory modules require at least 1.9v or more to achieve stability. This might be a contributing factor in the memory compatibility problem.

• Corsair Employees
If you want to run 4 Gig I would suggest using one of our Tested sets or one Twin2x4096-6500DHX for best performance, but as I said even if you purchase one of our tested quad sets they still may not run at 800 Mhz on some configurations.

Archived