Corsair Community

Softer cabling for 620HX?

Tomcat76

I just finished installing this new PSU. Everything's working OK now but I wanted to report I had a few problems with the cabling.

I have 5 SATA hard drives in an In-Win case. They are positioned at the bottom and their input headers are facing the side of the case (as opposed to the back of the case in most situations). This was OK with my previous power supply where the softer cabling allowed me to bend them better at the connectors. The stiffer cables that came with the 620HX made this more difficult, and even made me use only two connectors per cable instead of three; I originally wanted to take advantage of the amount of connectors but decided it wasn't safe enough to use the connector at the very end of the cable simultaneously. Note that the connectors themselves are not the issue; they "fit" nicely in between the hard drive and the side door of the case. It's just that the cables can barely be bent enough.

The second problem was the connector on the splitter cable (with the 2 FDD connectors on the other end). Once I attached the female connector of a modular cable to the male connector on the splitter cable, three of the four pins came out. It took me a while to get this fixed. But I suppose this is just a case of bad luck.

That's about it. Just wondering if the stiffer cabling is really that much preferable...

• 2 weeks later...

I find the cables are very stiffed; seems like low quality. I have a P180 case and my hard drives are in the bottom chamber; the power cable actually broke one of my hard drive SATA power connector as I slided the hard drive cage in.

Luckily this HD had a dual power connector; otherwise would have been a waste and not to mention my !@#$ :eek: data.

• Corsair Employees

There are two fixes for this, one of which is to heat up the cable so it bends easier. You can do this with a heat gun or even a blow dryer. Not so hot that it melts the cables but warm enough so that they're easier to bend.

The other fix is to carefully pull apart the wires so that the "ribbon-style" cable becomes 5 independent wires, which then bend much easier.

Archived