Corsair Community

ECS PN2-SLI2+ and Dominator 8500C5D

brentgr

I am curious if anyone else is having problems with an ECS PN2-SLI2+ and a TWIN2x2048 8500C5D kit. My first memory kit was getting errors during memtest and it was RMAed. That process went well and during that time I had a 2yr old set of 1GB ram chips running at around 533MHz in my system. The system was noticeably slower during gaming, but ran fine. Now my replacement kit has arrived and I am once again having difficulty (random lockups, normally during gaming, but also surfing the web). There are no errors during memtest, but the system is locking up when I try to start a game. I was running them at 5-5-5-15 set at 2.2V, 1066MHz in SLI mode with 0% overclock. I have updated the bios to the latest (P25), but still no luck. Now I have them back down to 800MHz on 5-5-5-18, 1.85v.

The whole point of this system was to overclock it, but I can't even get it to run at rated speeds. Anyone else having problems? Thanks.

I haven't tested these 2 dimms independently. However, I did test the first two independently when I was getting memtest errors. Only one dimm got errors, but the system wasn't stable with only the one good dimm in the system. I'll do some more testing today with various configurations.

Currently, I have the 2 modules back in SLI mode, which automatically sets the speed to 1066MHz. I have them back to 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V. So far, they passed 8 hours of memtest with no errors. I have done a little gaming and a little surfing with no problems.

My BIOS flash went a little weird yesterday, which may have contributed to some of the problems. After the CMOS was cleared and I redid all the BIOS settings, things have been going well. When I feel certain system is stable and I do some overclocking, I will post the results.

• 6 months later...

Well, it has been a few months, but I never did get a stable system. It would run fine for about a day and a half and then freeze. Sometimes I got the BSOD and so I installed microsoft tools to read the mini dump files. Every time it was something different. Other times there was nothing - just frozen. It is now at the point that I have one dimm in the machine and it is running great, but only at 800MHz 5-5-5-18-2T, 2.2V. I have been able to leave the machine running for days with no problems - I have never been able to do that with this machine. My solution became to turn the machine off every night before I went to sleep.

Now I think the second dimm is completely gone. The computer won't post if it is in the machine (whether it is the only dimm in the machine or if it is in the machine with the other dimm). According to my LED's on the MB, it fails at C1, Memory Presence - Base memory detect. As soon as I remove it from the machine, the computer works great. I have gone through numerous BIOS updates and just installed P30 today.

Unless there is something else you would like me to try, I am requesting an RMA. Thanks.

Getting RMA will not be an issue. However, it is not a good idea to use a second tier motherboard for high end parts and overclocking. If I were you, I would look to purchasing a top tier 1 motherboard if you intend on overclocking. If you repeat the issue with another set of DRAM then clearly the problem is the board and not the DRAM. I believe that if you repeat, you will find the same problems on that board.

So, in a weird twist, I decided to check all my BIOS settings and try the dimms together one more time. To my surprise, the computer has been running fine with both dimms for 3 days. I currently have them set to 800MHz 5-5-5-15-2T, 2.2V. While I would like to run them at least at 1066MHz, I am happy the system has been stable for 3 days. I'll update this post if I ever get them to run a stable overclock.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tip - the computer has been stable at 800 MHz, 2.1V and 4-4-4-12 timings for a few days.

On a separate note, the machine refuses to boot when I have 2 dimms in and the machine had no power on it prior. For example, I went away for 5 days and turned the power strip off - absolutely no power to the machine. When I came back, the computer wouldn't boot with both dimms in the machine. It failed every time at C1, Memory Presence - Base memory detect. After numerous attempts to boot with both dimms, I removed one and ran for a day or two on only 1GB of Ram. One day, I shutdown the computer, but didn't turn off the power supply - hence, there was still power to the MB. I installed the second dimm and it started right up - no problems since. I normally remove all power when installing any components, so I find it odd that the MB needs power when I install the second dimm. Thoughts/experiences?

I know ECS isn't a top tier manufacturer, but from what I have read this is just the reference design from Nvidia. I even read Foxconn makes the boards for ECS and EVGA, so I didn't think it would matter which one I bought. Every BIOS update addresses memory issues, so maybe that is the root of the problem.

I know ECS isn't a top tier manufacturer, but from what I have read this is just the reference design from Nvidia. I even read Foxconn makes the boards for ECS and EVGA, so I didn't think it would matter which one I bought. Every BIOS update addresses memory issues, so maybe that is the root of the problem.

You can be certain that BIOS updates and fixes will be far better with a top tier mainboard manufacturer.

Archived