Corsair Community

DDR 266MHz-400MHz compatibility

Spinach

Hello!I have a huge problem...My Motherboard is QDI KuDOz 7 and its chipset is Apollo KT266A.(I provide them in advance just in case the info is required.)

The motherboard supports only 200/266 Mhz speed RAM.And has only 3 slots for RAM.

Furthermore the CLS cant be set over 2.5 (it has only two options 2 and 2.5).What kind of memory should I buy to upgrade it?(The motherboard is present here http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair...or_search.html only a newer version is found there with different chipset)

Will a higher frequency RAM (400Mhz) be compatible with my motherboard with no stability problems even if it timed lower than designed?I currently have a RAM module 233Mhz 256 MB and is obviously not enough.(Used to have more but they have gone bad)

Many DDR (400mhz) modules (especially in the performance lines) need the Ram voltage set higher than 2.5volts to achieve stability. Most DDR modules will down clock to 266mhz without a problem though. Hopefully, Ram Guy will have a DDR RAM module suggestion that meets both board requirements (CL of 2 or 2.5 and 2.5volts).

ps: there's also a caveat about not supporting 4-bit DDR 1 gig modules in the above link. Not really sure what that means.

Looks like Ram Guys already covered this in the Warantee section.

Archived