Corsair Community

XMS2 DDR2 6400 Twinx 2GB Kit & DFI Lanpart UT n590 SLI-M2R/G

ulio

HELP! I am having a killing nightmare. Compatibility issues.

DFI Lanpart UT n590 SLI-M2R/G

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400 Twin2x 2GB Kit (5-5-5-12)

Cannot get it to run in a stable manner. DFI BIOS latest.

Memory no problem. Tested 24hr on another PC with Memtest68+ 1.70. Prime95 3 instances 24hr no problem.

Failed to get system running stable in DFI Lanpart UT n590 SLI-M2R/G. Dual Channel - Slot 1 & 3.

What is the recommended "Dram Drive Strength" for Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400 Twinx 2GB Kit (5-5-5-12)?

Thanks

Here's my test setup. No overclocking. BIOS Auto Save at boot disabled.

Core System:

------------------------

AMD X2 3800+ (Windsor) 65W

DFI Lanpart UT n590 SLI-M2R/G motherboard

Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800MHz 6400 Twin2x 2GB Kit (XMS6405v6.2 5-5-5-12) CM2X1024-6400

- 2 Sticks in a set for test

Biostar GeForce 7300GT DDR3 256MB

Power Supply:

------------------------

CoolerMaster Real Power 550W

Thermaltake Tough Power 750W

Dual Interlinked Enermax Industrial PSU 350W (1 power mobo, 1 power peripherals)

APC Back-UPS RS1000 (1000VA) x2

Multimeter:

------------------------

Sanwa (Japan) Digital Multimeter x 2

Fluke Digital Multimeter x 1

Uni-T Multimeter with Temperature sensor x1

Additional Test Parts:

------------------------

Jetway M2GT6-PTD motherboard

Asus P5WD2 Deluxe motherboard

AMD X2 3800+ (Windsor) 89W

Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800MHz 6400 Twin2x 1GB Kit (XMS6405v3.1 5-5-5-12) CM2X512A-6400

- 2 Sticks in a set for test

Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800MHz 6400 Twin2x 2GB Kit (XMS6405v5.1 5-5-5-12) CM2X1024-6400

- 4 Sticks in a set for test

Assorted DDR2-533, 667, 800MHz 512MB-1GB

Biostar GeForce 7300GT DDR3 256MB

Dram Common Parameters

------------------------

Twin2x1024A-6400

Twin2x2048-6400

CPU External Frequency: Auto set to 200MHz

DDR2 DRAM Clock: Auto set to 800MHz

DRAM Drive Strength: 1 to 30 (DRI Lanparty UT n590 SLI-M2R/G) Default at "15"

DRAM CAS Latency: 5T

DRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T

DRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T

DRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 18T

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 DRAM Voltage: 1.9-2.1v

Hopefully, this information will be helpful to someone in the future.

-------------------------------------

FYI. Documenting my progress.

[1] DFI Lanparty UT n590 SLI-M2R/G (revision A1) original BIOS is flaky and will crash at Date-Time & IDE-SATA section within the BIOS.

If your original setup with existing Ram is NOT stable in cold boot and stop at POST, DO NOT flash your BIOS because motherboard RMA will be the next thing you'll do. The alternative is to under-clock your Corsair XMS2 6400 modules to run at 333MHz x 2 = 667MHz in the BIOS Dram setting. Seriously, do test a few times before flashing.

If you really want to flash your BIOS, try a single stick of DDR2-533 or 667MHz on slot 1. Make sure your system POST successfully a few times before flashing the BIOS.

[2] Unstable Boot and POST can be mostly blamed on BIOS Dram configuration. Especially "Dram Drive Strength" section.

My Test procedures.

[1] Remove all non-essentials.

- No hard drives, No PCI cards, floppy drive. Keep CD/DVD-Rom drive for boot.

- Single Graphics Card. No SLI.

- Use a reliable power supply such as Cooler Master Real Power 550W or Termaltake Tough Power 750W. Check PSU Power connectors for misalign or ejected pins. Connect all power connectors 8pins, 24pins to motherboard including the 4pins (5 & 12v Floppy type) connector reserved for SLI setup.

- No USB. USB Legacy disabled in BIOS. If unable to disable USB legacy support, disable USB chipset feature in BIOS. Use PS2 keyboard and mouse instead.

Tackle and deal with 1 problem at a time.

[2] Test are done with the advertised configurations. Almost all rams are tested in Dual Channel (128bit) in 2 and 4 dimms combination (matching pair).

[3] Reset BIOS to default and run Memtest86+ 1.70.

<intermittent crash at POST or Windows BOOT or BSOD>

[4] Reset BIOS to default setup. Set "Dram Drive Strength" to "5" and run Memtest86+ 1.70.

- 24hr Memtest86+ runs perfectly.

- Prime95 sometimes detected errors in 6hr test.

<intermittent success>

[5] BIOS

- Disabled Save BIOS setting with DFI "Genie" feature within BIOS.

- Minor BIOS boot reconfiguration. No change to Dram & CPU settings. Reboot and re-test.

<intermittent success>

[6] Re-test and Reboot with BIOS Default + "Dram Drive Strength" set to "5". 5 x Reboot and Prime95 (3 instances) + SuperPi tests for 45-60min.

<intermittent success>

Something else in BIOS may be causing the intermittent Prime95 failure besides Dram settings.

another 30+ test sessions with slightly different BIOS configuration and hardware change are not documented here.

Thank you for the suggestion. Appreciate it.

Another Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800MHz 6400 Twin2x 2GB Kit will be arriving today. I'll test with that independently and combined.

My feeling is that the problem is on the DFI motherboard rather than Corsair ram.

--------------------------

ABOUT THE BIOS

--------------------------

I am testing on the second DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G. First board was sent back for RMA. BIOS crash when navigating within BIOS's menu and intermittent POST failures. Problem is partly BIOS code and partly compatibility with Corsair XMS2 dimms.

Flashing BIOS in unstable POST and BIOS state turned the first board into a worthless junk. Well.. until it's back on DFI's lab bench.

If you want to update the BIOS, use DDR2-533, or DDR2-667 512MB single dimm and in single channel mode.

Lastly, the latest BIOS (2007-08-29) has what appears to be typo at DRam Voltage setting.

Still not successful with the new 4 dimms of XMS2 6400 v5.1 within Windows XP SP2.

Most stable when "Dram Drive Strength" is set to 3,5,7.

Default Dram Voltage of 1.85 is not sufficient at all. Test range from 1.85 - 2.2v. Other Dram configurations are left as Auto or according to SPD. Hence ram is running at 5-5-5-18-2T.

Main test software are: Prime95 & SuperPi

More tests will be done...

All Dram running at 800MHz. No overclocking. 128bit Dual Channel.

AMD X2 3800+ running ar 2000MHz. Hence utilizing full 800MHz memory.

---------------------------------

This is what i know so far...

SuperPI and Prime95 have different level of sensitivity to miscalculations and errors.

Currently Dram Voltage to 2.2v and XMS2 Heat Spreader temperature range from 42-50C or 107-122F, depending on the ambient temperature. This is NOT Recommended despite DDR2 Max operating temperature is at 95C or 203F. VDimm should be maximum at 2.1.

The reason the system was tested with Vdimm of 2.2v was due to DFI BIOS not having 2.1v. Simply poorly designed BIOS menu. It's missing 2.1v, instead it's like "2.04v --> 2.07v --> 2.0v --> 2.2v". DFI engineers did not get back to me and confirm.

Prime95 (4 instances)

[1] Blend (any core)

[2] In-place large FFTs - Max heat & power consumption (any core)

[3] Small FFTs - Max FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache (Core 1)

[4] Small FFTs - Max FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache (Core 2)

SuperPI - 32M

Test sessions are in progress...

Vdimm=2.2v

[1] 12hr with Prime95 (x4) & SuperPI (6 re-runs) successful

[2] 5hr with Prime95 (x4) & SuperPI (12 re-runs) successful

* ITE 8716 Sensor indicate Vdimm is at 2.1v. Using Everest Ultimate and ITE's own software - Smart Guardian 2.03 (from DFI motherboard CD).

** Special cooling blower (fan) was setup for memory modules.

Vdimm=2.0v

[1] FAIL Prime95 in 1-2min (only 1 test with 2 x Prime95)

Vdimm=2.04v

[1] FAIL Prime95 within 3hr (only 1 test with 2 x Prime95)

Vdimm=2.07v

[1] FAIL Prime95 within 12hr (only 1 test with 2 x Prime95)

Once all above tests are successful. I will proceed at decreasing the Vdimm from 2.2 to 2.0

This is how i workout the kinks and stability issues

----------------------------------------------

Software

Primary

- Memtest86+ 1.70

- Prime95

- SuperPI

Secondary

- 3DMark06

Notes:

NO error in Prime95 in 3hr does not mean system is stable. When combined with SuperPI, sometimes SuperPI will catch errors faster. Vice versa.

In 4GB setup, Prime95 will not utilize all memory.

Memtests86+ 1.70 was reserved for last test cycle as it is the slowest due to [1] More memory takes more time to test and [2] Memtest86+ is a single-thread code. Hence no multi-cores benefit.

Success Requirements

[1] All 3 primary software must be 100% stable without error. All tests ran 5 times on warm reboot, with each session at 12-24hrs long.

[2] Secondary software used in conjunction with the Primary 3 software for another 3 sessions on cold boot for 12-24hr.

[3] Memtest86+ 1.70 for 24hr. At least 10 pass.

- It doesn't care about platform or depends on it for accurate testing.

- It's grinding slow as it's a single threaded program.

- It mainly focus on Dram. CPU-Motherboard problems might not cause any errors.

- It can work with more memory than on Prime95.

Approach

[1] Process of Elimination.

[2] Reduce possible factors of error by removing all unnecessary peripherals.

[3] When possible, have parallel tests running to test each components:

- [a] Power Supply

- Ram

- [a] CPU-Motherboard

[4] Document all configurations and start with a Baseline. Usually BIOS default setting is a good place to begin.

[5] Change only as few settings as possible. Too many changes will make identifying possible Improvements and Worse-offs nearly impossible.

[6] A change to hardware requires an additional test to compare with previously hardware configuration.

[7] Always ask "Is it Better or Worse?" and "Does the system Crash any differently compared to previous test sessions?"

When changing PSU, confirm each pin of all the motherboard connectors are properly hooked-up. Once, i saw a pin dislodged from the 24pin connector's housing when plugging in. A cheap part can cause the motherboard to go nuts as well.

Just discovered something questionable.

BIOS DRam Voltage is set to 2.07v.

Everest Ultimate Edition (version 4.00.976) indicates that it's running at 1.98v. This is based on ITE's IT8716F sensor (http://www.iteusa.com/product_info/PC/Brief-IT8716_2.asp)

BIOS(B)

EVEREST(E)

B1.85 = E1.79

B1.90 = E1.84

B1.95 = E1.87

B2.00 = E1.92

B2.04 = E1.95

B2.07 = E1.98

B2.10 = E2.00

B2.13 = E2.03

B2.17 = E2.06

B2.20 = E2.11

Tested on Enermax and CoolerMaster PSUs.

I am doubtful of these readings from Everest, but i'll test vdimm point manually sometime this week and confirm.

--------------------------------------

Adding New Information...

--------------------------------------

I have used ITE Tech's own "Smart Guardian" for the motherboard sensor ITE IT8716F which is included in the DFI Lanparty NF590 M2R/G official CD. The readout is as inaccurate as Everest.

ITE's Smart Guardian confirms Everest Vdimm readout within Windows. Hence the only way is to go manual with a digital multimeter.

More verification to be done...

All 8 dimms of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400 are not compatible with DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G.

Also despite Corsair claims of compatibility with DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G, they have not tested their memory modules on that particular board. Refer to - Corsair Configurator and Corsair Tech Reports.

---------------------

---------------------

Corsair is famous for rock solid stability, but that is different with compatibility. This is not exactly Corsair's fault.

It is not feasible for Corsair to test the rams with all newly released boards. Unless Corsair start some Motherboard Certification process with something along the line of "Corsair Memory Tested and Capable". However, motherboards manufacturing process will always have minor changes intentionally and unintentionally such as a batch of poor quality component. It is just simply difficult.

For the part of DFI, they are responsible to test high-end enthusiasts motherboards with high-end memory modules. DFI has poor engineering test processes with this Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G board.

We had two DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G in the labs for two weeks. Subsequently the third was tested as well and failed.

Firstly the BIOS is unstable with the first release given the amateur mistakes of not testing the BIOS properly at every engineering iterations. Secondly, the latest BIOS has voltage numbering "Typo" mistakes at the important Vdimm of 2.10.

Lastly, DFI has lost the edge in testing and engineering with this board. Despite this, the result we got needs to be carefully analyzed further. I felt it's important to let user knows of this anomaly.

The Voltage set in the BIOS do not correspond to the real voltage going through the motherboard. Some voltage settings are exact, but others varies as much as 0.11v between BIOS setting and the actual voltage.

As a result DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G is an expensive and possibly faulty motherboard, depending on your luck.

This was unfortunate as i had very high hopes for this board. In weeks to come i will aggregate all the raw data collected during 1-2 weeks of testing and troubleshooting into an Article for an online tech review site.

Sad to say, this was the first bad experience with Corsair XMS2 memory modules. However unintentional, Corsair did make a false claim of compatibility with DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G when recommending their memory.

Fin

I'm having 1 problem witH DFI board too (its Infinity UltraII-m2), actually I had 2 boards and both had same problem...

On my boards all memorys I've tested (A-DATA,Kingmax, Apacer, Transcend, GoodRam and Corsair) can be clocked normal but only if FSB is less then 290...

Only apacer and goodram gave me normal max FSB (around 350...)ž

I'm crazy alrdy and dunno shell I search some other memory or I will change a board with some other...

I'm having 1 problem witH DFI board too (its Infinity UltraII-m2), actually I had 2 boards and both had same problem...

On my boards all memorys I've tested (XXXXXX,********, Apacer, Transcend, GoodRam and Corsair) can be clocked normal but only if FSB is less then 290...

Only apacer and goodram gave me normal max FSB (around 350...)ž

I'm crazy alrdy and dunno shell I search some other memory or I will change a board with some other...

If you could return them and exchange for others, then i think it is best to get rid of DFI.

I ran this same board with several different sets of memory including 4 x PC8500 Dominator and 4 x PC6400C4 Dominator. I ran just fine. I don't have it set up any longer but if the DIMMs are not defective I would suspect some other problem as they are compatible.

However unintentional, Corsair did make a false claim of compatibility with DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G when recommending their memory.

Just to be clear, we had at least 3 of these boards in our lab with a variety of our memory run through them. Just because there is no published lab report, that does not mean we did not test it. If I can help you with any of my info, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me know you got 3 of these boards.

Sad to say, I am on the 2nd board and tested a 3rd few days ago with 2 sets of XMS2 Twin2x. All had problems. I have since sent the board to someone else to test.

DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G tests

1st motherboard had POST problems with default BIOS. 2 Twin2x sets tested.

Only 1 matching XMS2 pair used at time. 1 pair cause bios Ram error beeps. Disabled legacy USB. Disabled Bios Auto Save. Standard SPD with Bios Auto. Failed Prime95, Memtest. Board RMA. CPU changed. PSU changed.

2nd motherboard had POST issues with default BIOS. 4 Twin2x sets tested.

Intermittent POST with default BIOS settings. All single channel working at 800MHz. Dual Channel fails. 667MHZ works in single & dual channels.

3nd motherboard had POST issues with default BIOS. 4 Twin2x sets tested.

similar issues. VGA, CPU, PSU, RAMs were interchanged and tested.

I have left the testing work for someone else for a few days while we wait for K.ingston, A - Data DDR2-800 modules plus Abit boards.

When i get all items back in my lab, i'll start checking board voltages.

All photos of XMS2 packs with serials visible were emailed to Corsair labs a day or two ago.

Wished i got all the time i need to work through this problem.

I have also cross tested all 4 sets of Corsair XMS2 6400 Twin2x on other DDR2-800 compatible boards for 24hr memtest & 20-22hr Prime95 & SuperPi, they are in 100% working condition based on SPD settings.

I could not get the board to POST successfully 10/10 times when running on the Bios default "Dram Drive Strength" at 15.

There are similar issues with another board in my lab - Jetway JM2GT6, albeit not as severe. We got all our boards from retail.

At this point in time, any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

I have also cross tested all 4 sets of Corsair XMS2 6400 Twin2x on other DDR2-800 compatible boards for 24hr memtest & 20-22hr Prime95 & SuperPi, they are in 100% working condition based on SPD settings.

I could not get the board to POST successfully 10/10 times when running on the Bios default "Dram Drive Strength" at 15.

There are similar issues with another board in my lab - Jetway JM2GT6, albeit not as severe. We got all our boards from retail.

At this point in time, any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

Since the memory appears to be working properly, is there any other common denominator between the systems that are failing to post or run properly? You don't have a bad AM2 CPU in the mix do you?

Just to be clear, we had at least 3 of these boards in our lab with a variety of our memory run through them. Just because there is no published lab report, that does not mean we did not test it. If I can help you with any of my info, please let me know.

Can you please tell me exactly your DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G BIOS settings in "Genie" section. I would like to know...

[1] Voltage Control - everything.

[2] Dram Configuration - Memory Drive Strength and as much as you could provide. Include a screen photo would be easier.

Appreciate your time and help.

Since the memory appears to be working properly, is there any other common denominator between the systems that are failing to post or run properly? You don't have a bad AM2 CPU in the mix do you?

Hahahaha... It is a mystery.

I've RMA...

1 Motherboard,

1 XMS2 Twin2x,

1 AMD X2 3800+ (Windsor)

I have ran everything in a minimal setup, and interchanged parts to test each one.

Seriously, i suspect more of a board problem such as a batch of less than quality components maybe. Or voltage noise within the board pertaining to memory control.

Corsair Dominator class of memory modules is different from XMS2 6400 C5 modules.

Pure speculation at this moment.

I don't overclock and have no interest in it. Reliability is paramount here.

Curious, what’s Corsair XMS2 6400 1GB Thermal Envelope?

Partially answering my question..

-----------------------------------------------------

Not exactly Corsair, but general DDR2 info.

-----------------------------------------------------

Maximum transfer rate 800 MT/s/pin

Maximum density 2Gb

Maximum operating temperature 95°C

Operating voltage (VDD = VDDQ) 1.8V

I/O interface SSTL_18

Can you please tell me exactly your DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G BIOS settings in "Genie" section. I would like to know...

[1] Voltage Control - everything.

[2] Dram Configuration - Memory Drive Strength and as much as you could provide. Include a screen photo would be easier.

Appreciate your time and help.

I'll have to set that board up again. If I cannot do it tomorrow (Friday) I'll do it Monday and get back with you. One thing I know for sure, I never adjusted drive strength at all, it was at default. Also, there were some good threads showing tips for this board at the old DFI forums, which are now the DIY forums: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/index.php

Thanks. I just want you to know, i truly appreciate your input.

One thing i could really use your help is to know where to manually test Vdimm with a digital multimeter on DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G. I need to confirm the Bios Vdimm with the actual voltage.

As of now the BIOS Vdimm supposedly "2.10v" is written as "2.00v" and the Vdimm readout within Windows is "2.00v" with Everest and ITE's Smart Guardian. Bios Vdimm "2.07v" corresponded with Windows readout of "1.98v".

Without having any idea of the veracity and accuracy of Bios Vdimm 2.1v, i could not operate the memory at maximum recommended voltage.

If you could help me in that area, it would be extremely helpful.

-----------------------

Additional information...

-----------------------

XMS6405v3.1 was perfectly tested without any problems for 48hrs on another board. On DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G 2nd & 3rd, it will not even POST unless i lower "Dram Drive Strength" to 3 and increase Vdimm to 2.0+.

XMS6405v5.1 & XMS6405v6.2 were tested without errors on other boards as well. On the DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G boards, it is much more stable at Bios default when compared to XMS6405v3.1 despite hiccups at a few POST and occasional crash or blackout in BIOS.

-----------------------

Hypothesis...

-----------------------

My speculation lies with these premises.

The more i look at the issue, the more i realized this is almost impossible to troubleshoot if it has to do with the components used in a batch of DFI contract manufacturing that have slacker tolerance, resulting in more than +- 1% (depending on Dram's IC) of DC noise level for the input reference voltage.

If electrical noise, then what about ODT? On-die termination of DDR2 are within the chips, hence specialized in noise reduction inside memory chips. That means the noise problem (if it is the real problem) is not with banks of memory chips.

When combined with Corsair's memory modules ICs and components with higher sensitivity to voltage noise level, overall stability is compromised. This might be the case for XMS6405v3.1 when used with this batch DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G boards. Exactly which part is sensitive is uncertain.

For example. I have are 4 sets of XMS2 Twin2x DDR2 6400 built with different ICs. 2 pairs are Promos, 1 pair is Aneon (Quimonda) and 1 pair is Nanya. The Dominator series are mostly build with Micron.

As far as i can deduce, Corsair Dominator's Micron IC appears to provide highest stability when juxtapositioned with Corsair XMS2 6400, for a price of course.

If that is the case, the only way to mitigate this problem is to fine a way to reduce the Vref input noise level. Boosting Vdimm and/or lower some drive signal strength may have some limited success. There may be other factors within the BIOS that might help. Alternative is to run at 667Mhz.

Imagine buying expensive DDR2-800MHz memory modules to run at 667MHz.

-----------------------

A matter of JEDEC

-----------------------

If the board was manufactured before JEDEC ratification of DDR2-800, it might be likely the test engineers at DFI's contracted manufacturing facility did not test the boards with broad range of DDR2-800MHz modules at that time due to standardization issue.

Secondly, JEDEC specification for DDR2 was only up to 667MHz when these DFI motherboards were manufactured. Anything beyond 667MHz was outside of the official specification.

As of July, 2006, JEDEC hasn't ratified DDR2-800.

Given that Corsair XMS2 memory modules are advertised to perform faster than the usual 'stick', their voltage requirements is understandably tighter. Hence resulting in having some Corsair modules being more sensitive to voltage noise level.

If the above case has any truth, then it is a problem not limited to DFI Lanparty UT NF590 M2R/G and cannot be solved in most cases if the BIOS does not have any facility in mitigating the voltage signal noise.

Again, it is just a hypothesis... a pretty thin one at best.

-----------------------

IMHO...

-----------------------

As i will continue to explore this in a few more days with new components such as K.ingston & A - Data memory modules and Abit motherboards, i truly hope there can be a clear idea what makes Corsair memory modules fail to run on some motherboards.

When it is not clear which component is at fault, the consumer is screwed. How many times can you RMA out of this?

DAMN!

Archived