Corsair Community

HX-620W Longevity?

HeatSurge

Hi,

I have just purchased a HX620W PSU which is currently on its way to me via fedex. I however stumbled across this thread today which makes me kind of a bit uneasy:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220

When the "new video cards" come out requiring these 8-pin PCI-E connectors, will Corsair release/make an option to get these as modular attachments to the current HX620W? It's disconcerting that the thread alludes to design changes necessary in the PSU design itself! Is this true? If I have to buy a new PSU in just a couple of months if I decide to upgrade my 8800 GTX to the Ultra or possibly 8900 models and so forth, this could be a pain as I was hoping the HX620W would last me quite a while. I'm not planning on SLI - I don't like the idea and would rather buy a single powerful card - so I was hoping this PSU can handle even newer cards with even higher power requirements than my current system (below), which actually doesn't consume more than about 360-400W under heaviest load (measured w/ a kill-a-watt meter and calculator estimation using efficiency ratings with current PSU).

I currently have a S939 Opteron 170 running at 2.75ghz, 2GB Mushkin Redline XP4000's (1:1 with the CPU) (I apologize for the blasphemy ;-) ) and a single 8800 GTX on a DFI SLI-DR Expert Nforce 4 mobo if anyone cares btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to bump this as i bought a new HX620 less than two weeks ago and paid the premium price of the unit because i believed i was buying something with a degree of certainly short term future proofing.

Any comments from the Corsair reps regarding the 8 pin compatibility on the existing unit?

• Corsair Employees
^ bump ^ :roll:

There will be an option available if you contact us directly and need an 8-pin cable. However, even though the HX620 can run 8800GTX in SLI, it's never going to be certified to do so by nVidia due to the way it's rated.

For those with the older style cables, the 6-pin, we hope to offer you some upgrade paths, but nothing is official yet.

Thanks for the reply, it's more the R600 crossfire and the later 65nm refresh that is tempting. Once AMD move to 65nm the power requirements should be lower than the initial release which 'should' put in the realms of existing crossfire requirements.

UK based btw so not sure who i'd best contact.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too Shark, I have just ordered the HX PSU and think I have made a mistake now because it does not come with the 8-Pin lead for the 2900 XT.

I have not even received the PSU yet! :( I didn't even realise I needed at 8-Pin lead till I read the reviews of the 2900 XT doh!

Anyone in the UK managed to get an 8-Pin PCIe lead for the HX PSU?

Thanks,

• Corsair Employees
NP It might take a 7-15 Days to get the cable, if not please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0" 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Monday Threw Friday excluding holidays!

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I love Corsair.....and from what I've read....you make very nice PSU's

However, altho modular cables are handy and DO aid in air flow problems, they also add resistance, and can wiggle out.

If I changed anything about the new Corsair PSU's it wud be fixed cables and you may as well start selling them with 4, 6, 8 pin connectors.

Moore's Law waits for no man....even Corsair :)

here is Neweggs overview:

Corsair has engineered the HX620W/520W with features such as whisper quiet thermally controlled 120mm fan, up to 84% high efficiency, combined 50A on triple +12V rails, and modular cable connections with enhanced flexible cables to provide sustained 620W output even at 50ºC to the most demanding of systems.

The HX Series is the ideal power supply for high performance and gaming PCs, Audio/Video workstations, and file servers.

and lastly MTBF (mean time between failures) 100,000 hours, at 8hrs per day usage that works out to 34+ years.....

CORSAIR ROX!!

• Corsair Employees
Oooo new PSUs in Aug.? :eek:

WoOt

Any sneek previews we can see? :biggrin:

We'll be launching a few new products that will allow customers to meet their demands more easily. With only two products on the market, and both of them being fairly similar, we realize that not everyone may want a PSU with all the features of the HX. Some people may not need the power of an HX series and some people might need more.

Our goal is worldwide domination of the power supply industry by designing the world's best power supplies for every concievable user.

This, of course, takes time. Keep your eyes peeled over the next couple of months.

Archived