Corsair Community

PC hard shut down

My son's pc started shutting down by it self suddenly with no warning. Trying to restart it will bring all system fans on for about 4 seconds then it will shut down again. Testing determined power supply went and took mobo with it. Got a new Thermaltake 470 watt ps, a new Intel D865Perl mobo. Put the old Twinx 1024-3700pt and P4 2.8 processor back in and it ran fine for a week till it started doing the same thing. Tried removeing one stick at a time with no luck. Swapped a good HD and vid card just to rule them out. Same results. The only thing i did not change was the ram. Could this problem be caused by bad ram?? Thanks....:confused:

• Corsair Employees

Two things you should check:

1. These modules require 2.75v top run at the advertised speeds.

2. If your processor is a 533MHZ FSB Version you will neeed to operate the DDR Frequency at 333MHZ.

Hmmm.. i'll see if i can get the machine to start long enough to get in the bios and check the voltage. But i built this pc and an identical one almost 3 years ago and they both have performed flawlessly till this problem started with my son's machine. I have not tried to swap the ram from mine cause i'm afraid of killing it......btw the fsb is 800...

Archived