Corsair Community

Faulty CMX1024-3200C2

MaareK

Hi, I think I have a faulty memory module and would like to request an RMA number.

System

2 x CMX1024-3200C2 (stock speeds)

Asus A8R32-MVP Motherboard

AMD Opteron 144 (also stock speed)

HIS ATI Radeon x1950XT-X 256Mb (Pci-express)

Windows Vista 32-bit was installed on the system a few days prior to the failure of the ram module.

Everything in the system had been running smoothly until, while playing World of Warcraft the system just suddenly decided to die. When trying to restart; the mobo gave a BIOS checksum error and then gave me the option to restore the BIOS from a floppy/CD/USB Device."

Thinking the BIOS must have become corrupted; I cleared the CMOS and flashed the BIOS with the latest update. However after the BIOS was updated I got the same post message. Anyway.. to cut a long story short, After removing all unessential hardware from the system and after much time I got the system to post properly by removing one stick of ram but Vista gave a BSOD while loading. So I swapped the modules and now Vista will load and operate properly, but only with Stick A in Slot 1. (see test results below)

• Stick A in Slot 1 : Get BIOS, Vista boots fine.
  • Stick B in Slot 1 : Get BIOS, Vista does a physical mem dump when booting (in safe mode or otherwise)
  • Stick A in Slot 1 + Stick B in Slot 2 (original setup) : BIOS Checksum error and goes straight into the BIOS recovery tool.
  • Stick B in Slot 1 + Stick A in Slot 2 : Get BIOS, Vista does a physical mem dump when booting (in safe mode or otherwise)

Soooo... I'm guessing from these symptoms that Stick B is faulty in some way. How quick is the turnaround for this sort of thing btw? . The modules were purchased as a pair and I expect I'll need to send them both back, even though only one is faulty. This will leave me without a functioning computer. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios for your MB and then load optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings to 2-3-3-6 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

OK, I've run Memtest86+ with both modules in the machine in the only way I could.

• Stick B in Slot 1 + Stick A in Slot 2 : Get BIOS, Vista does a physical mem dump when booting (in safe mode or otherwise)

After one pass, the Error Summery says the following.

Test #

• Test : 0 - Errors : 0
  • Test : 1 - Errors : 3066
  • Test : 2 - Errors : 20425
  • Test : 3 - Errors : 16184
  • Test : 4 - Errors :
  • Test : 5 - Errors : 6340
  • Test : 6 - Errors : 15704
  • Test : 7 - Errors :
  • Test : 8 - Errors : 2044
  • Test : 9 - Errors : 0
  • Test : 10 - Errors : 0

I've never used memtest before, so forgive me if these arn't the results you were expecting.

As an update, I have completed 2 memtest passes on StickA with no errors. So it must be Stick B that is faulty. As a result I'd like to request an RMA#.

Will I have to return both modules? .. and if so, what is the normal turnaround? (bearing in mind that I'll be shipping from the UK)

Edit : I should probably mention that technically; the model number for these modules is TWINX2048-3200C2PT and not CMX1024-3200C2PT as the topic title suggests.

Archived