Corsair Community

Bad memory or Incompatible parts?

gihrig

I purchased a pair of 512 Meg SO-DIMMS (VS512SDS400), for a Compaq Presario 2100. There is no suffix after the 2100 on the machine's label, but it has a 1.6 GHz Celeron CPU, which makes it similar to the 2100CA or 2100US.

The Corsair Configurator (http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html) lists part number VS512SDS266 for all Presario 2100 models.

At the time I purchased the memory, the ..266 were not in stock, so thinking there was no problem using memory with a higher speed rating (400 in place of the recommended 266) I purchased the VS512SDS400 part number.

Now (almost a year after purchase) I have attempted to install the new memory modules.

With either or both of the new modules installed, in either slot with or without the original 128 Meg module from Compaq, the machine will not even begin to post. e.g. the display back-light does not even come on. (this is the first sign of any activity when this machine boots normally.

Reinstalling the original 128 Meg module restore the machine to normal operation.

So the question is: Did I make a bad assumption when buying the ..400 rather than the ..266, or do I just have two bad modules?

What should I do now?

Thanks for your assistance!

-Glen

• Corsair Employees
Not compatible, please refer to your reseller for exchange, credit or refunds. In any case if your vendor cannot help you. You may attempt our Customer Service Department at 1-888-222-4346 and dial 0 in menu.

Archived