Corsair Community

8500C5D and 680i

I am hoping someone can help me run this RAM at spec. I have a 680i motherboard and when I first built the system I was running the 8500C5D at the 1066MHz and 2.2V just as rated. However, after a few days my system became rather unstable. Windows XP would boot fine but whenever I started one of my games, FEAR, the computer would freeze and I had to restart. I thought it was my overclocked video card video card so I brought it down to stock settings and the same thing happened. Then I brought the overclocked processor to stock settings and the same thing happened. Eventually my computer became unbootable. It would even freeze while in the BIOS. I had to reset my CMOS and then it began to work again. Right now, I have my processor and video card overclocked and my memory is running at 755MHz with the timings of 5-5-5-18. It has been rock stable and I was able to play FEAR. However, I am disappointed in that I dished out almost $400 for this ram to not be able to run it to spec. Could someone lend me a hand? Do I have some bad sticks? Any help is appreciated.

E

I figured that much. I have been finding a lot of threads with this issue. I saw that Nvidia released a statement about this RAM degradation. However, they stated that this would happen to users of RAM at 2.4volts. For me, this is happening at 2.2volts. I don't know where that leaves me. Should I RMA this RAM? It would be pointless to RMA if the board is going to kill or degrade any new RAM? Is Corsair aware of this issue? Any advice is appreciated.

Archived