Corsair Community

I think I have a bad module 512 xms3200

angelq

I think i have a bad memory module. The reason is i have two 512 xms3200 400mhz memory module and i recently tried to install windows xp on my new hard drive but it would not let me past the windows is inspecting your current hardware configuration window so i took out one of the modules and left the other one in but that did not work and then i took out that one and replaced it with the other one and it worked fine. Is it possible that my other module is bad? Hopefully everything makes sense :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a very similar issue with my two XMS3200 512MB 400MHz modules. One module works great it both RAM slots. The other will cause the blue scen of death regardless of what slot it is in.

Albeit, I am not trying to install XP, just run it.

• Corsair Employees
Please follow the link for my signature and then load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the tested settings and test the modules one at a time, if you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I followed all the directions. I got no errors with either module. Once I try to boot my computer with the bad module installed (either by itself or with the good module), I get the blue screen.

The good module never blue screens when it is used by itself. Once the "bad" module is installed... blue screen. At this point, I think the bad module needs to be replaced. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees

Ravenslair, when you test the modules separately, and they get no errors, but you are seeing errors while they are both installed it is most likely not a bad RAM module. It is possibly a configuration issue or an issue with the CPU/motherboard. What are your current memory settings? (ie: Dimm Voltage, CAS - tRCD - tRP - tRAS)

Angelq, can you give me the specific part number of the ram you have? Also the memory settings can be found in your BIOS (Dimm Voltage, CAS - tRCD - tRP - tRAS)

RAM GUY,

I do not think it is a configuration issue based on my results. Here are the results of my tests:

Good RAM installed by itself - No issues at bootup

"Bad" RAM installed by itself - Blue Screen at bootup

Both installed at the same time - Blue Screen at bootup

Kingston PC3200 400 MHz 512MB x2 just purchased and installed - No issues at bootup. I figured I would try new RAM. This is what was available.

Based on my tests (especially with new RAM and same configuration), I think I have a bad module.

• Corsair Employees
The minimum Voltage for XMS3200 would be 2.75 Volts, please make sure you have the latest bios and set the memory voltage after you load setup defaults and some MB's you have to disable Legacy USB when running http://www.memtest.org and test the system module again, if you still get errors let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived