Corsair Community

Upgrading memory... timing questions

HTPCguy

Because of the need to do some HDV editing on my HTPC, I need to upgrade my memory from the current 1GB to 2 or 3 GB. I currently have two 512 MB Corsair XMS sticks (TWIN2X1024A-6400) with a 5-5-5-15 timing by SPD. I was looking on Newegg to purchase the additional memory and came across a Corsair XMS 2 GB kit TWIN2X2048-6400(1GB x 2) of the same speed as I currently have (800MHz DDR2 PC6400) but the timings were slightly different (5-5-5-12). I am running my current memory in dual-channel mode. If I add the 2GB kit to the mix, will I have any problems or performance issues running in dual-channel mode because of the slight difference in the memory timings?

My system specs are as follows:

--------------------

Silverstone LC-18 case

Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H 590 SLI Mobo

Athlon 64 x2 4600+ CPU

Corsair XMS 2 1GB (2 x 512) DDR2 800 memory TWIN 2X1024A-6400

EVGA 7950GT 512MB graphics card

Arctic NV Silencer Rev. 3 VGA cooler

Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 CPU cooler

LiteOn SHM-165H6S DVD writer

Seasonic S-12 430W PSU

WD 250 GB 16 MB cache SATA-II HDD

Samsung LN-S4695 1080p LCD HDTV

• Corsair Employees
If you go to four module you may have to run the memory at DD533 MHz with the CPU you have listed even with Two 1.0 Gig modules maybe the same in having to run them slower because of loading on the memory controller.

Can I run the modules at 1.9v (as set currently) or should I bump up the voltage to 2.0 or even 2.1?

If something is stable at a certain voltage, it is wise not to mess around with it. Why fix something when it isn't broken.

Also if you did buy that ram it would work in dual channel with 5-5-5-15 timings so it matches the slowest kit.

On an Intel machine it would run DDR800 5-5-5-15 2T easily. This is because intel don't have an intergrated memory controller on their cpu.

If something is stable at a certain voltage, it is wise not to mess around with it. Why fix something when it isn't broken.

I wasn't going to change the voltage if I was going to stick with my current memory. I was just wondering if increasing the voltage may help if adding additional modules. Wasn't sure if loading of the memory controller was related to the RAM voltage...

Archived