Corsair Community

P5N-E SLI and XMS2-6400

statewide

I had two sticks of 512MB corsair XMS2-6400 800MHz (CM2X512A-6400) installed on my P5N-E SLI computer. I put them in slot # 1 and 3 (yellow slots). The computer would constantly be rebooting by itself. I put in one memory stick at a time and found that one of the sticks must be defective (no matter which slot I put it in). I received a replacement memory stick, I put it in a slot, and started immediately having the same issue of the computer rebooting itself constantly.

I then went into the bios and changed it from 800MHz and changed it to 600MHz. I now have tried putting in all of the memory sticks in all conceivable combination.... and the computer is working just fine now.

Is this an issue with some of the memory, since some of the sticks worked fine, while others didn't? Or is this a motherboard issue? I don't see how it could be a motherboard issue though because I was able to find two sticks that worked great at 800MHz. So that makes me think there was just three sticks that ended up defective running at 800MHz.

So it all comes down to this: three memory sticks don't work while two memory sticks do work running at 800 MHz. While all memory sticks run fine at 667 MHz.

The fact that two memory sticks work just fine running at 800 MHz on my computer, would suggest that there is no motherboard issue. And would seem that there was defective memory at fault?

Archived