Corsair Community

CMX1024-4000PT Memtest Errors

I've ran this RAM in my computer with Memtest and gotten errors along with the blue screen of death. I've tried it in my brothers computer which has never had issues period and got Memtest errors on his machine as well.

These are 500mhz modules. XMS4000v1.1 pieces.

I need to know what to do with these. I don't even see this RAM made anymore so what's gonna happen?

Help please.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Yeah but what I am saying is I've tried this in two different machines and both give errors with Memtest86.

I'm trying it in my Abit NF7-S v2.0 with a 2500+ Barton. Whether stock CPU speed and FSB or over-clocked, I get the same errors. It doesn't matter what voltage I try it at either. The timings are set just like what is printed on the label on the RAM itself. I believe they are 3-3-3-8.

I try these in my brothers machine and return the same errors. Nothing seems to matter so I believe these modules have errors. I am under the impression they are lifetime warranty pieces but I see that this RAM is no longer being made. They aren't doing me a lot of good crapping out on me and giving me the blue screen errors either.

I basically run my motherboard with all stock settings. I have some other XMS memory that runs perfect so I know it's a memory issue and not my hardware. The other XMS also runs perfect in my brothers machine as well.

Any other suggestions? Anything else I've left out?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Corsair Employees

Well these module will not run at DDR333 and that MB even thou it gives you the setting for DDR333 will not support cas 3 at DDR333. In addition, you cannot run DDR400 with a 333 FSB CPU. You would have to set the timings manually as they do not have the SPD information to run at DDR333.

Please try these settings manually set:

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Then test it with memtest.org and please load setup defaults before you make the changes.

• 4 weeks later...

What good is a lifetime warranty if you can't get anyone to honor it? What is the purpose of buying this high dollar ram when seemingly the cheaper stuff will work just as well and last just as long?

If you buy any type of ram it worked flawlessly for X number of days or weeks or years and then crapped out...isn't that what a warranty is for? I paid for this high dollar ram and now what good is the warranty? I would have been just as well of buying the ******** ram and when it crapped out toss it in the trash and buy more.

I've listed the ram I have in another thread here. It's not working right regardless and it is suppose to be lifetime warranty. What do I have to do to get it replaced? Corsair needs to but a disclaimer or something in the package with their products saying that there is a lifetime warranty BUT...and then list all the buts. I got a system sitting here that I may as well take a baseball bat to cause I can't use it...or the high dollar ram I have either.

No I have not tried it yet for two reasons. One reason is I have not had time. The second reason being the ram has issues and has a lifetime warranty. I also am running another Corsair ram in the system and it is overclocked. I see no reason to start changing the system settings when they are already running top notch and stable. I do not overclock my ram or even mess with the timings, I set them up as the ram sees fit.

In another system that does more than support that ram, there are errors. The ram listed in this post is not made anymore. So I have no idea what is suppose to happen if I ever get to return it. However, if I am stuck with this ram I will no longer buy Corsair products. The shop I work in will no longer recommend nor will we install Corsair products either. What is the point? Judging from the response here the lifetime warranty seems to be a gimick to get someone to purchase the product anyway. If I have two machines and they are both giving ram errors with ram test...it's simple what's going on.

This motherboard would run this ram if there weren't errors on it. It may not support it fully, but it would run it. It surely would if I'd overclock it to run at the supported settings of the motherboard.

Simple solution and a way to keep a longtime customer happy would be to simply take the ram back and test it themselves. When it comes up with errors, replace it. I am willing to pay the difference to get ram that is suppose to be supported by the NFS7 mobo. Otherwise I'm taking all the Corsair ram I own and bashing it with a hammer. I'll then buy the K ram that has been edited from my other post. See if I have problems with their warranty and if not, then I know they are the King.

I hope Corsair will make this ram good. They've had a good track record up until now.

• 1 month later...

OK. It's been awhile but I'm back. I still have issues, with the RAM not actually with me. Well that would be a matter of opinion...but anyway...

I did as you requested. I still received errors with Memtest. I tried each stick by itself. One stick returns nothing but errors while the other seems to run flawless, or it has so far. One seems bad and the other isn't. So where do I stand now? Corsair doesn't make this RAM anymore and you're telling me it won't work anyway with my MB. Funny thing is I've not had actual trouble so far with just the one stick that doesn't return errors. I'm not into overclocking my memory so the actual speed it runs at isn't as important to me as the over all total memory. Hence the reason I bought this RAM.

So what do I need to do now? I have one stick working (seemingly) fine and the other only seems good to make a nerdy keychain out of.

Thanks

Ok, but what are you going to replace them with? This is a 2 gig kit I have now and that's what I want as a replacement. I also want something that will work with the Abit NFS-7 v2.0 MB that I have too. I don't want to go through this again. I had major issues with the other brands of memory and switched to Corsair...problems solved. So I know it's a good product.

Another question...when I receive the replacement RAM I will be running memtest on it. If there are errors, will Corsair take it back and replace it promptly?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry I cannot answer that question, please talk to our customer service and see what is available. And normally we might try to test/repair your modules first. You can call them at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext: "0"!

Archived