Corsair Community

Runs with 1 stick but not both

damon_dusk

I recently built a new system. Brand new Asus Striker Extreme, brand new Core2 Duo and, more pertinently, a 2GB kit of Corsair ram, TWIN2X2048-6400C4. To top the new system off, I bought a copy of Vista Home Basic. From the get go, the computer crashed a typical blue screen crash (giving a plethora of error codes) over and over and over. It would run anywhere from 3 seconds to 3 minutes but ALWAYS crashed.

I spent 3 days on the phone with Microsoft Support and finally tried to run with 1 stick. Success!!! I ran it with just the OTHER stick. Success!!! As long as only one stick is in, regardless of which, it runs great. They both work perfectly independantly of the other.

Can anyone begin to fathom my frustration at having only 1 of my $170 per stick RAM work at a time? Someone please help me. :confused:

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I updated he BIOS successfuly, set BIOS defaults then set DIMM voltage to 2.1 and began running memtest on each stick individually. Im not sure how many passes I should have let it run, but after hours and hours showing no errors with either stick, I gave up.

An interesting occurence did, however, take place. My problem has been that I could run either stick but not both. Today while running the stick I had previously been leaving out, the system began to crash. It also froze up in BIOS a couple times. That stick ran clean in memtest, as well as the other, but gave me some issues today that the other had not.

I'm not prepared to accept that I have a parts mismatch as this specific part number is on the qualified vendor list from Asus AND when I use Corsairs memory selector, it pulls this as the first match for my motherboard. Both manufacturers say that this is a match. Both parts are brand new. I am getting to the end of my rope......I really need my machine to work.

Is there another model of Corsair memory that is comparable in quality and matches my motherboard? Maybe Corsair would like to swap me the 2 sticks I have (with the package and original reciept bearing my name) for something that actually works. Of course, in the meantime, I'm out a working machine (which is my source of income) whether this goes RMA or trade for another model or whatever.....I feel like I am really losing with this purchase.

Speaking of purchase......to my dismay, I noticed yesterday at the store where I paid $340 for these sticks in mid January, that the current cost is at less than $200. Could my luck here get any worse?

I just updated the BIOS to version 0901 yesterday. I will grab 1004 today and try it. I originally installed the moduels in banks 0 and 2. Today I tried 1/3, 0/2 and 0/1. They are currently running in 0/1, but I don't hold out any hope that the computer wont crash any second. Aren't they supposed to be run in banks 0/2 for dual channel?

Well I'll be damned......I moved the modules from banks 0 & 2 to banks 0 & 1 and the system has been running well ever since. I'm curious, though, as to whether I'm gettting dual-channel operation out of them in this array. I thought that they needed to be in the two blue slots (0 and 2) to run dual channel.....misconception on my part? Either way, they work now. Thank you for your time RamGuy. All is finally well :sunglasse

Archived