Corsair Community

bad memory stick ><

Chris23

hi, nice forum, very impressed to see some effort from a manufaturer.

anyway, i bought a kit of 2gigs "CM2X1024-6400c4d"

i started bsoding like no tomorrow not too long after the system had been running, a few weeks or a month. brand new sytem.

so after all the problems i run memtest at system boot, it said i had hardware errors, i took both sticks out and tested them seperately, it wasnt long before i found out which stick was the bad one, since memtest would give a clean sheet with the good one, pretty simple to diagnose.

obviously im here to try and get a new stick, however i have a couple of questions.

as i bought the sticks in a kit of 2 gigs and only one stick is faulty, would i have to send both sticks in to be repaired? tbh i think ill just go out and buy a new stick as i cant go without a computer for that long, i will have to send the faulty stick half way around the world haha.

thank you.

ok after reading around the forums i decided to try a few things as i really dont want to waste anybodys time, especially my own :P

i put the memory voltage up to 2.1v (MUCH higher than what it was at, default or "auto", but i believe 2.1v is the recomended voltage for my ram?)

i ran the same test and it passed :)

HOWEVER, i do find it kind of odd that one module would pass the test and the other would not, im talking about when i tested them seperatley by taking one out of the machine before i up'd the voltage earlier today.

anyway fingers crossed all i had to do was up the voltage, ill run some more tests perioddically and keep an eye out for those bsods. as if i could miss them.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

ok well like i siad above i changed the dim voltage to 2.1 and i was running the rated timings before (4.4.4.12)

anyway before i changed the voltage i couldnt play any game for more than 15 mins before i got a bsod, and last night i was gaming for 5 hours >:) and without any bsod and whats more, total system stability.

ran some memory test as you suggested and everything seems fine now.

Archived