Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2 Memory and Asus A8N32 SLI Board Woes...

skidmarq

Wow, where to begin!?!?! Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I felt that it wasn't a compatibility issue, per se, since this is the recommended memory for the mobo! :)

As the title says, I have been having problems getting my Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard to POST.

This was a perfectly fine PC for months. One day I come in to power on the tower and I get nothing...no post, no video output, whatsoever.

Fast forward a few weeks. In the meantime, I've RMA'd my original Corsair Twinx3500LL memory which I will regret until the end of time since that memory is apparently obsolete now and replaced with the slower 3200 memory. I've RMA'd my original motherboard, also to no avail.

Symptoms occur on a bare bones system with only CPU, memory and video card installed (keyboard when we are in need...)

Symptoms have followed multiple power supplies, motherboards, and memory pairs. Symptoms have occurred at my house, and also at my office which is where my latest tests have occurred...

Motherboard BIOS has been upgraded to 1205, CMOS reset, etc...

As it stands right now, we have found a way to get the board to POST.

If we have an old stick of Kingston (512MB) PC2700 memory inserted into the B1 DIMM slot of the motherboard then we can get into BIOS. This is just one of the weirdest things I've ever come across.

If the matched pair of Corsair memory is inserted into the motherboard without the Kingston stick then it won't post and no video output will be sent to the monitor. If I, for example, place the Corsair sticks into A1 and A2 with the Kingston in B1 then I can get it to POST. As soon as I remove the Kingston stick (even without changing the test BIOS settings that were working a second before) it will not POST anymore.

(cont)

The edited memory is made by King$ton, I just noticed the filter :)

Anyway, I'm looking for any suggestions at this point. When POST occurs, it recognizes the 2.5GB of DRAM but I'm very concerned that leaving it this way will degrade performance so badly that it is pointless.

We have tried leaving the BIOS settings default, we have tried manually setting 2-3-3-6 (2T). We've tried leaving the VCORE at default and also tried micro stepping from 2.6 up to 2.8...nothing I've tried can get the system to boot without the old King$ton stick being added to the equation...?!?

These settings also fail unless the third stick of memory is added into the equation...

DDR Voltage: 2.75

CAS Latency(Tcl) 2

RAS/CAS Delay(Trcd) 3

Min Active RAS(Tras) 6

Row Precharge Time(Trp) 3

RAS/RAS Delay(Trrd) 3

Row Cycle(Trc) 9

Row Refresh Cycle(Trfc) 12

Read Write Delay(Trwt) 3

Read Preamble 5.5

Asynchronous Latency 7

If i've left out important details, please feel free to ask away...this has just been going on too long and I defer to the RAM experts!!! :)

More info, when leaving all the memory settings at auto with the King$ton stick in, the motherboard sets the settings as follows:

Memory CLK: 100MHz

TCL: 2.5

TRCD: 2

TRAS: 5

TRP: 2

TRRD: 2

TRC: 7

TRFC: 9

TRWT: 4

Read Preamble: 5.5ns

Async Latency: 7ns

More information...while monitoring in the BIOS the following are the averages I'm seeing...

VCORE Voltage: 1.37V

3.3V Voltage: 3.31V

5V Voltage: 4.95V

12V Voltage: 11.91V

Yes, Sir, that is correct, and thanks for taking the time to reply to my message :)

The plot thickens...

I borrowed some different memory from a friend and booted using all auto-memory settings within the BIOS. Results are as follows...

Single Stick of Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO (512MB)Plugged into DIMM B1 Slot = Success

BIOS Detects:

200MHz - Mem CLK

2.0 - TCL

2 CLK - TRCD

5 CLK - TRAS

2 CLK - TRP

2 CLK - TRRD

11 CLK - TRC

14 CLK - TRFC

3 CLK - TRWT

5.5ns - read preamble

7ns - asynchronous latency

Single Stick of Cruc1al Ballistix PC3200 (512MB)Plugged into DIMM B1 Slot = Success

BIOS Detects:

200MHz - Mem CLK

2.0 - TCL

3 CLK - TRCD

8 CLK - TRAS

3 CLK - TRP

2 CLK - TRRD

11 CLK - TRC

14 CLK - TRFC

3 CLK - TRWT

5.5ns - read preamble

Note: I tested two different sticks of Cruc1al (matched pair) and they both worked while in DIMM B1

Dual Matched Pair of Cruc1al Ballistix PC3200 (1024MB Total)I could not get the system to POST when using any combination of DIMM pairs

Single Stick of Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PRO (1024MB)

Interestingly enough, one of my two RAM sticks is POSTing, although the other won't...that, by itself is odd in my opinion...

Plugged into DIMM B1 Slot = Success

BIOS Detects:

200MHz - Mem CLK

3.0 - TCL

3 CLK - TRCD

8 CLK - TRAS

3 CLK - TRP

2 CLK - TRRD

11 CLK - TRC

14 CLK - TRFC

4 CLK - TRWT

5.5ns - read preamble

Dual Matched Pair of Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PRO (2048MB Total)

I could not get the system to POST when using any combination of DIMM pairs

The only other thing I can think of to try is to update the BIOS again from its current 1205 to the 13xx level...

Anyone else have any suggestions for me?

Archived