Corsair Community

Twin2X2048-6400C4 bad stick

Tazz

This is a new system build and twice i a row I have had trouble with one of the two sticks not working during the initial POST. Like other threads here I found one stick will work fine in all slots and the other will not work in any slot ( will not even complete the POST).

I RMA's the first set back thru zipzoomfly and am going to RMA these too but want to check all bases before I have to go thru this a third time when it's something else causing the trouble.

The bios recognizes the ram and sets the speed at 800, but I noticed in other threads that with the Intel c2d e6600 people say it should be 667. Is 800 ok? That is the recommended memory from both Gigabyte and Corsair websites. I set the voltage to 2.1v but did not adjust any of the timing settings.

Any thoughts? I find it strange that 1 bad stick would be shipped twice in a row.

The only thing i didn't try is each stick individually BEFORE putting them in as a pair.

I am VERY careful about the way I handle the memory and proper grounding techniques to avoid any static discharge.

Tazz

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ram Guy,

Thanks for the responce, My motherboard was shipped with the latest bios (F9). I tested the memory with memtest at a voltage of 2.1 (+.3 for the Gigabyte 1.8 default intel setting) and set the timing to 4-4-4-12 which is the "tested" settings as advertised.

The results showed the good stick to have no errors when tested (six test cycles) in each of the four memory slots. The bad stick could not be tested because the computer failed to complete the POST and would reboot after 3-5 seconds. I cringed each time. Just to be certain I tried both sticks together in the 1&3 slots as recommended for DDR2 and again it failed to POST.

Additionally, as you noted, the legacy usb was disabled for this test.

I will follow the link in your sig. and go from there.

Thanks

Tazz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
I am sorry we can no longer check RMA status; please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext “0” or send them an email (rma@corsairmemory.com) with your RMA# and ask them for the status!

Archived