Corsair Community

interpreting memtest86 results

I am using memtest86 to help me diagnose some graphics problems I am having.

(I do not have any RAM on hand that I can swap in.)

Initially I got errors on test 6 and a few on test 3 with both my cards in. I got errors in test 3 with one chip installed. With the other card I got errors on test 3. This is after running each no longer than 2 hours.

I just let memtest86 run for 17 hours with both cards in (much longer than the 3 previous times), and I have 3 errors on test 3, 5 errors on test 4 and 37 errors on test 6.

Does this confirm that I definitely have a problem with my system RAM?

Does memtest86 reach into RAM on the video card?

thanks very much!

CMX512RE-3200LLAW

on both

As far as BIOS settings... I have never changed anything to my knowledge... the deepest I go into changing settings is resolution :P

I have not flashed my BIOS (got 1004 latest is beta 1008), and I have not updated my chipset drivers, cuz winxp will not let me unzip them (says they are locked)... I do have nForce 5.10 and 93.71 forceware installed. I do not know if this would automatically change anything in the BIOS, but since my OP, I tried another video card in my computer (geforce 2 MX / mx 400), and my original problem does not occur while using that graphics card, but it does not have some of the features as my regular card, so I do not know if those extra features themselves could be interacting with another part of my machine which is causing the graphics glitching. I have not been able to use my regular card in another machine to test yet. Also, I ran memtest86 for about 2 hours with this other video card, and I still got some errors in test 6 only... planning to run a longer memtest86 with this other video card tonight.

This is what I saw in BIOS though.

northboard

CPU overclock 200 mhz

mem config auto

master ecc enable disabled

dram 2.5v 2.5v

mem clock 200 mhz

lat 2.0

TRCD 3

TRAS 6

TRP 3

southboard

SMBus Interface enabled

Audio codec interface auto

MAC interface enabled

onboard LAN boot rom disabled

IOAPIC enabled

AGP overclock 66

aperture size 128mb

AGP 1.5v 1.5v

AGP FW enable auto

AGP sideband auto

primary video PCI

HT config

HT tristate enable disabled

CRC flood enable disabled

LDT to MCP2 freq 600mhz

well I kid-you-not as soon as I clicked the reply button, my machine instantly shut down... (on a dif computer now) turned it back on, asked me if I want to use last safe settings, I clicked normal startup... almost got to log in screen and it instantly shut down again... came back 10min later... turned it on, and I got in for about 10 minutes then it bsod with something about a driver as the problem... disappeared before I could read it all, but the bsod was something very similar (or the same) as what happened to me about a year ago when I had to reinstall windows :(

hope I am not getting to far out of the field of these forums, but I am really at a loss here....

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have ( Cas 2-3-2-6), and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

The v card that I started getting bsods on was geforce 2 MX / mx 400 a very lesser v card than the one I usually use.

just to refresh, cuz there's alot of info, I think... I am getting graphics anomalies with my 6800 GT but system stability is fine and with geforce 2 MX / mx 400 I am not getting graphics anomalies but after it was in for about a day and a half, I started getting bsods just while sitting at the desktop

but I will be getting memtest86+ and doing the rest of what you suggested when I get a chance...

The ASUS guy recommended I do not flash my BIOS (said there was not any specific fix for graphics anomalies) and that if I choose to, do not use the 1008 beta bios but the 1007 bios...

While I am posting... I have no idea how to do this: "load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have ( Cas 2-3-2-6)."

I do not have an extra hard drive, and I really do not want to reinstall windows unless I have to...

thanks

In a previous post, you had asked me to "load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have ( Cas 2-3-2-6)." before I use memtest86+ I do not know how to do this, so if you could tell me or point me in the direction of a tutorial, that'd be great!

After a bit of research on that motherboard, I'd hold off on loading setup defaults for the moment. From what I've read, it looks like the original default BIOS (ie.Load Setup defaults) only covered ram speeeds up to ddr333. The updated flashed BIOS versions supported ddr400. Those sticks will run at 333mhz but why take a speed hit when you probably don't need to. In your BIOS what RamGuy is calling the dim voltage (also known as ddr voltage and vdimm) is called DRAM 2.5v VOLTAGE and it's in the Northbridge Chipset Configuration screen under the Advanced tab of your BIOS. You need to use the down arrow key on your keyboard to highlight that entry and press the enter key to be brought to a secondary pop-up screen that will give alternative values for that voltage. Use the keyboard's arrow keys to change to the 2.8 value Ram Guy suggested and press enter. As to changing the timings which are listed on the same screen, 2-3-2-6 translates to (standerd order)-

CAS=2

tRCD=3

tRP=2

tRAS=6

in your BIOS they're listed in this order-

CAS=2

tRCD=3

tRAS=6

tRP=2

Use the keyboard's arrow keys and the enter key to make Ram Guy's suggested changes. As a side note the ESC key on your keyboard will take you back a page in the BIOS. Once you've made these changes you still need to save them. Having used the ESC key to return to the top menu bar, arrow key over to the EXIT tab and press enter. The Exit Options screen will come up. If the Exit and Save changes option is not highlighted, use the arrow keys to highlight it and press enter (this is also the screen were the Load Setup defaults option is located in your Bios). If Exit and Save changes is already highlighted, just press enter. Your changes will now be saved and the system will continue to startup with the new values you entered being used. Hopefully, this will be enough to fix the issues. Unfortunately, with any type of crashes, BSOD's, or anomolies there is always a possibility of some driver or Windows corruption ending up on the hard drive, or in your case the RAID 0 array.

Thanks!!

Are these settings that I am changing the normal settings for regular computer use or are they the optimal settings for memtest86+ to run or both?

<edit> I just looked in my BIOS to change those 5 settings, and for the DRAM there are only options for 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 I am still using bios 1004, because asus said I should only flash my bios as a last resort, so I do not know if the 2.8 might only be available under a newer bios... </edit>

P.S. Where do I go to get my certification? lol I feel like I have learned alot in my ordeal (on other boards too).... :P

Archived