Corsair Community

Striker Extreme and 4 sticks of CM2X1024-6400C4D problem

BDW

Hi Ramguy, I'm having a strange problem...

First here's some specs...

Four sticks of CM2X1024-6400C4D

Asus Striker extreme MB

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe

Two ASUS EN8800GTX in SLI

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-850 850W

Heres where it gets weird.

Running Memtest86+ overnight "on two sticks at a time" put into the BLUE color coded slots DIMM_A1 on channel A, and DIMM_B1 on channel B.

came up with NO errors, even running at 4-4-4-12-1T @2.1V not the suggested 2T clock.

I relaxed the timing to 4-4-4-12-2T @2.1V as the specs suggest and put in ALL 4 sticks. DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 on channel A, as well as DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2 on channel B.

Errors came up within seconds of running memtest86+. The test ran really slow as well. What took about a half hour to get one pass with two sticks, took over 4 hours to get one pass 'WITH' errors on four sticks.

I've tried setting to 667Mhz but still get errors. Even tried relaxing the timing way out to 5-5-5-18 2T. Put my voltage on auto. This gives errors as well.

Soon as I pull two sticks out of the White color coded Dimm slots DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2, my system screams with amazing speed again with no errors.

I've swapped, tested, swapped again. As long as I run just 2 sticks in the blue slots, everything is amazing.

Can you please enlighten me on what is going on or give some suggestions if this is correctable through the advanced memory timings in the bios? No matter what I do including following your guide in the FAQ, I just can't run all 4 sticks at the same time without problems.

I'd hate to think I paid all this money for memory that won't even run half speed or even below that level with stability.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

The fact they will run at the tested settings with one set would suggest its not the memory that is the problem.

Running Memtest86+ overnight "on two sticks at a time" put into the BLUE color coded slots DIMM_A1 on channel A, and DIMM_B1 on channel B.

came up with NO errors, even running at 4-4-4-12-1T @2.1V not the suggested 2T clock.

What Bios version do you have installed and have you tried it with just one Video Card?

The fact they will run at the tested settings with one set would suggest its not the memory that is the problem.

What Bios version do you have installed and have you tried it with just one Video Card?

Thanks for the replies...

Well, I tried bios version 701, 901, 1002, 1004 and now back to 901.

Yes I tried one gpu. I've tried everything and every suggestion out there.

This afternoon, I could get 4 sticks to run stable through test #8 of memtest86+ but, ONLY if I disable all the features that I really would like to take advantage of. And, 4 sticks makes things actually slow down. What's up with that? Is 2 gig the magic number where less is more and 4 gig is like having so much food in your mouth you choke?

I'm guessing either this ram is flakey or the motherboard is picky. All I know is, a few of my friends that have this ram and this motherboard combo are tearing their hair out in frustration. Then I check the web and see it plastered all over the net about the nightmares. I myself have been going through this since Jan 22 2007. Nearly 3 months is insane. Nothing more frustrating than to be in BF2142 then crash with a bsod.

The Asus website says this ram is approved with this board. The Corsair website says the same. Obviously something is wrong or so many people wouldn't have this same problem. 2 sticks work, 4 sticks don't. And if they do, its RARE and probably more unstable than they think and just haven't run across a problem yet.

I've never spent more than a grand total of 2 minutes with all the systems I've owned in my life configuring ram in the bios. Now, I spend every spare moment for nearly the past 3 months. Is anyone working on rectifying this or do I have to go back to college to learn how to stick dimms in a slot?

Sorry I left my sinewave generator and oscope in my other pants.

:roll:

Sorry for asking so many questions at once but I've held off for this long before asking anything anywhere. Seriously, is ANYone acknowledging this IS a problem? It should'nt be this hard. Ya gotta kind of agree on that.

Ok end of rant... Any other suggestions? :biggrin:

Thanks

This afternoon, I could get 4 sticks to run stable through test #8 of memtest86+ but, ONLY if I disable all the features that I really would like to take advantage of.
Which features?

And, 4 sticks makes things actually slow down. What's up with that? Is 2 gig the magic number where less is more and 4 gig is like having so much food in your mouth you choke?
The more sticks you have, the more stress on the memory controller.

Also, what's the version # of each pair?

How To Read the Memory Label

I'm going to try that tonight but I really doubt it's as easy as just increasing those voltages... BDW did you manage to get yours working? I'm guessing my problem is exactly the same as yours. I really hope RAM guy helps us!

• Corsair Employees

With 4 modules you may not be able to over clock much if any at all

And if you do you will have to way underclock the memory, sorry but that is just the way the chipset works. If the system will run normally with out over clocking and the memory set to DDR667 or DDR533 then there is not much that cen be done. In addition, from what I have seen in your profiles some may need a bigger PSU or at least a better quality unit to over clock. The PSU is the most important part of your system especially if its heavely loaded and your trying to over clock.

I'm going to try that tonight but I really doubt it's as easy as just increasing those voltages... BDW did you manage to get yours working? I'm guessing my problem is exactly the same as yours. I really hope RAM guy helps us!

I really hate to post so soon but I "think" I'm stable with 4GB at 4-4-4-12-2t finally. Best of all, 800mhz.

I kinda just went for broke so I don't really know which or if all the settings I did fixed it.

Anyways, here is what I did...

Went back to bios 901

Loaded default settings.

Reboot...

Manually set memory voltage: 2.1v

Manually set, 4-4-4-12-2t

AI Tuning: Manual

Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled

LinkBoost: Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled

Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled

Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

Virtualization Technology: Disabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

Went into hardware menu and observed voltages, watched the slight fluctuations carefully for about 5 minutes and manually set my voltages in the "Extreme tweaker" menu and manually set:

Either match or rounded up to the next setting on the stable readings.

To the middle road of the fluctuating ones,

Or ONE setting above what was in the previous hardware menu.

For myself, that was:

NBv - 1.25v (actual after reboot was slightly higher about 1.28-1.3)

SBv - 1.52

CPUvtt - 1.25v ( after reboot this fluctuates now about 1.25-1.3)

1.2HT - 1.25v

Disable usb legacy support, pop an adapter onto my usb keyboard and reboot.

run memtest for a few passes. This is why I'm not too crazy about jumping to conclusions yet but, I've NEVER been able to get even PART way through ONE pass let alone the massive success I've had tonite.

I have no clue what worked and what didn't all I know is I'm WAY more stable and hopefully fully stable. Sorry I don't know more about it. Thanks people. I'm sure I'll be back again with another problem.

If this stays stable or not, I'll post my success or failure.

Thanks

Yoxxy , could you suggest to me what voltages i should use for my memory (check my specs), not sure if my specs will make them different from BDW's.

i have only been able to run stable with 4GB at 500MHz 5-5-5-18-2T 2.1V, and id really like to get somewhere near 667 4-4-4-12-2T.

thanks in advance.

from the posts you seem to be "the voltage expert" around here :biggrin:

with these voltage increases, is it indicated some kind of increased cooling to some part of the motherboard ?

"almost near the point of buying 2 GB DIMMS from GSkill and never again buy corsair....no matter how good or compatible with what motherboards they say they are..."

lol, this board censors memory maker names :)) ....

Go into the bios, Go to

First: "AI Tuning -> Select Manual"

Second: "Go to System Voltages, Set Voltage for Memory to 2.1v, Voltage for Northbridge (Start Low Move Up) 1.25v-1.35v, 1.2HT Voltage = 1.35, CPU VTT 1.35v"

Third: Go to Overclocking, Select Memory Timing Schedule. Set timings to 4-4-4-12 Command Rate 2T and Auto for the rest.

Fourth: Go back 2 screens to AI Tuning and go to FSB and Memory Config. Select Unlinked. Reboot Computer.

Fifth: Go back to "Ai Tuning -> FSB and Memory Config" and select memory speed of 800.

Sixth: Reboot computer and your memory speed is now 800. Easy as pi.

well, I officially give up. All my attempts failed eventually.

I can't even run two sticks of memory now let alone four. In January, I could play bf2142 all Saturday if I wanted.

Now, I can't even play for more than 2 minutes without a bsod... Litterally.

I've even tried killing off my partition and reformatting in hopes that maybe I wrote a corrupted OS to the drive with improperly configured memory. That's Not the problem.

It has to be either the motherboard, gpu's or ram obviously so here's what I tried.

1 Pulled one of the two 8800gtx's. started bf2142..... BSOD after 30 seconds.

2 Pulled the Supreme-fx riser card that came with the striker extreme and put in old reliable... BSOD after about the same amount of time

3 swapped positions on the memory... started the game.... BSOD after a few.

4 Pulled all the memory except one stick...

NO BSOD... Played for quite some time.

5 Put the other 8800gtx in and enabled SLI,

NO BSOD... Played for quite some time.

So... I'm "guessing" and I do mean guessing, it isn't a power supply issue.

That narrows it down to being either memory or the dimm channels are fubar.

Now, I ask myself, if the dimm channels are bad... then why can I use memtest and leave it on all night without any error indication.

Then I ask myself, If this memory says it's got EPP then why isn't the motherboard detecting these enhanced performance profiles? EVERYONE that runs them has to manually set them ...

In the end I'm just totally wiped out physically and mentally.

It just gets worse and worse to the point where I'm only able to run ONE stick now...

Where do I go from here? I really wish I could just get my money back on this memory, motherboard and PSU to try something entirely different.

i know exactly how you feel, "luckily" (if you can call it that) i can get my system "apparently" stable at 500MHz 5-5-5-18-2T.

and i have exactly the same question, if these special memories have "EPP", but i already can guess the answer....these special profiles are for 2 memory sticks.

i for one, am just waiting for my recovery of my raid (yes, a BSOD corrupted my raid when i thought i had my system stable at 575MHz) and then try out Yoxxy's suggested changes in voltage.

if they dont work, and as i know that apparently this motherboard and even good memory dont go along with more than 2 sticks and Quoting MR Merrory Guy "they dont test the motherboards with 4 sticks" as 99% dont use 4GB, i will go and dump my 4 sticks, and buy 2 sticks of 2GB from the only maker who sells them (yes, i dont even have to mention the memory maker's name, anyone can figure it out, there is only 1).

so im basicly awaiting my recovery of corrupted data due to BSOD to try voltages. if that fails i say goodbye to corsair.

sadly i cant say goodbye to the striker, because if i could i would also.

never with all my computers did i have instabilities as with this one.

and as for noone (99.9% it appears) not using 4GB, i have been using 4GB of memory in the last 3 motherboards i had, and never did i have to go to the extreme of setting up voltages manualy....

hey guys i'm another one of these suckers in the same boat as you all. i have gone throught 3 sets of sticks thinking it was my ram, turns out it has nothing to do with corsair as it is the same problem with all other mem manufacturers, however it's our good friends at Nvidia and their stupid untested N680i chipset.

Every board equipped with this chipset is having the same common 4gb mem problem. i spent 7000grand on my pc not inluding my 4grond LCD to be stuck with dealing through problems and BSOD's like every day, and u know what- i don't overclock and i sure did my research before i bought my gear and confirmed that all parts were compatible.

I reckon the best thing for us all to do is wait till there is a bios update to fix the problem and just stick with 2gb, or even 3 as it works fine for me. i seriously think we are all just barking up the same tree and not much we can do except patch up some settings here and there. we're all better of waiting.

Go into the bios, Go to

First: "AI Tuning -> Select Manual"

Second: "Go to System Voltages, Set Voltage for Memory to 2.1v, Voltage for Northbridge (Start Low Move Up) 1.25v-1.35v, 1.2HT Voltage = 1.35, CPU VTT 1.35v"

Third: Go to Overclocking, Select Memory Timing Schedule. Set timings to 4-4-4-12 Command Rate 2T and Auto for the rest.

Fourth: Go back 2 screens to AI Tuning and go to FSB and Memory Config. Select Unlinked. Reboot Computer.

Fifth: Go back to "Ai Tuning -> FSB and Memory Config" and select memory speed of 800.

Sixth: Reboot computer and your memory speed is now 800. Easy as pi.

thank you for your suggestions on the voltage changes yoxxy, unfortunatly, here are the results:

at 800MHz failed memtest as expected...wasnt really sure why 800MHz would work...with 4 DIMMS

at 667MHz failed memtest

at 533Mhz passed 9 passes of mem test (aprox 10H running). thought i had seen the light :laughing:

too bad, that when i accessed my esata port or whatever else i was doing at the time on my pc, the old friendly reboot with no BSOD (notice that its friendlier to reboot than give the damn BSOD) came back.

so, back i am, at 500 MHz 5-5-5-18-2T...

and so it has come for me to part with my 4 corsair DIMMS, and get 2 DIMMS of 2GB each.

thanks again for your attempted help with my voltages, yoxxy.

Archived