Corsair Community

HX520 won't work with Foxconn MB?

RadomChance

System:

Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939 motherboard (latest BIOS)

1 IDE HDD, 1 SATA HDD, 1 floppy

2 Optical drives

1 DDR400 DRAM, 1 Gb

onboard video (nVidia 6150) & audio (Realtek 850 AC'97 codec)

I just got my brand new Corsair HX520 PSU today and installed it in my system. Everything powered up first shot just perfect. After a few minutes I shutdown (from Windows) to put the case back together. Before turning off the switch on the back, I tried to restart the system. At that point the case fans came on, the power LED came on along with the IDE LED and the system just hung there. The monitor was blank. I turned off the switch on the back and let it set for a minute and then turned it back on. At that point all the LEDs flashed (as they normally do when power is restored) and then the power LED started flashing about once a second. Pressing the power switch did nothing (no fans, nothing at all). At that point I turned off the switch, unplugged the supply and let it sit for a few minutes. When I plugged it back in I got the same behavior.

So into troubleshooting mode. First I reset the system BIOS using the clear CMOS jumper. Then I disconnected both the hard drives and both the optical drives one at a time trying the PSU switch and the case switch after each. Nothing but the flashing power LED. I removed the DRAM and tried again. Nothing but a flashing LED. I then disconnected the power cables from the motherboard (24 pin cable and the P4 cable) so the PSU was totally disconnected from the system. I shorted the green wire on the 24 pin plug to the adjacent black wire and turned the PSU switch on. The fan on the PSU started spinning so I assume the PSU is working. I reconnected the power cables to the motherboard and tried again. Nothing but the flashing power LED.

Fearing that my motherboard was toasted, I reconnected the old PSU (Thermaltake TR2 430W) and hit the switch. The system fired right up and I was able to get into the BIOS setup. I replaced the DRAM, reconnected my drives, reconfigured my BIOS settings, and continued to boot both Windows and Gentoo Linux without trouble.

Just out of curiosity, I tried the HX520 on an old system I have (eMachines MOBO, AMD Athlon XP something or other processor, single HDD, dual optical drives, 2x512MB PC2600 RAM, 20 pin connector). Again the system wouldn't even power on - no LEDs flashing or any signs of life.

After Googling for a while I came across another Foxconn owner who had problems POSTing with a new PSU. Same symptoms I had. His system also worked with an older (less efficient) PSU. He stated that he had tried several PSUs (Antec, Silverstone, etc...) and all exhibited the same issue. He mentioned his thought that the newer, more efficient PSUs all had a minimum required load in order to start up, also that maybe the Foxconn boards had some sort of power-on delay that fubar'd the startup on the PSU.

My question is this - Do I have a defective PSU or will the HX520 just not work with my motherboard? It is a Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939 that I got almost a year and a half ago. Does my board not load the PSU enough at startup? Does it load it to much? The jumpstart trick at the 24 pin connector with the PSU disconnected seemed to start the PSU. I can't find anywhere mentioned if the motherboard is compliant with ATX 2.1, 2.2 or anything. I have updated the BIOS to the most recent release. Is my stuff just to old? I got the HX520 because of its stability and excellent ripple rejection to try to preserve my system for as long as possible and also to future proof it against any upgrades I might make. It would be a shame if I can't use it...:(:

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

Unfortunately, some of our tests with Socket 939 and 754 foxconn boards exhibit a -5Vsb and Power Good signal that are out of the ATX spec. This isn't entirely uncommon as we built our power supply to meet the newer ATX 2.2 and 2.4 specs, while those boards were designed during the ATX 1.3 spec days. The vast majority of the time, we are backwards compatible with a number of Athlon XP (Socket A) and Athlon64 (Sockets 754 and 939) boards, but there are a few cases I know about where this is not the case.

Unfortunately, your motherboard is one of those cases. It should work fine on a more modern system, though.

I was afraid of that...

Are there any known issues with the Abit KN8 Ultra motherboard? I'd like to stay with my current Socket 939/DDR setup so I don't have to invest a lot of money in a Socket AM2 processor and some DDR2 memory in addition to the changing the motherboard.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
I was afraid of that...

Are there any known issues with the Abit KN8 Ultra motherboard? I'd like to stay with my current Socket 939/DDR setup so I don't have to invest a lot of money in a Socket AM2 processor and some DDR2 memory in addition to the changing the motherboard.

Thanks!

No known issues with the Abit board, but if you're looking for Socket 939/DDR setups, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium and A8N32-SLI Deluxe have both been known to work as well. The Abit board should work, but our testing was much less extensive there.

I've gone with the ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe board, based on your recommendation above. Sucks that Foxconn makes me choose between using a quality PSU and using their motherboard. I guess it just goes to show that that in most cases, you get what you pay for. I should have figured that out by now...:cool:

Thanks for the help and hopefully I'll be back up and running in a few days.

I bought a HX520 to run in an Abit AN7 system - tried everything like the first poster, BSODs, unscheduled reboots, freezing - never got one reasonable bootup into windows with the computer! :mad:

Before RMAing it I thought I'd try it in my AV8 system... a few hiccups to start with and a fixmbr :confused: later it all runs smoothly and quietly - it improved my best 3DMark score on the setup as well :bigeyes: Spooky!

Graphite :D:

Archived