Corsair Community

BIOS keeps resetting timings on TWINX2048-3200C2PT during a cold boot.

jaypee68

I'm running the TWINX2048-3200C2PT kit on an MSI 875P NEO-FISR Motherboard. When I first installed the new memory, the SPD settings were low, something like 3-4-4-8 or something similar so I switched them to 2-3-3-6 because this RAM has been verified by Corsair with this motherboard at these settings.

My problem is that when I cold boot the PC, I get an error msg from the BIOS in broken English that basically says that my timings are to tight and they need to be reset. So I go into my settings and sure enough, the timings are reset to the SPD settings, and I have to manually reset them to 2-3-3-6 after turning off the automatic SPD settings.

Now here is the part I really really don't understand. This problem only started occurring after I installed a BFG Tech GeForce 7800 GS OC. I had a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 Ultra OC in this PC and it killed itself, so I had to RMA it. In the mean time I had some crappy GeForce 6200 LE, but had no issues with latency settings being reset with that video card.

I got the reset msg the very first time I booted up after installing the 7800, and then every cold boot after that, but never on a warm boot, and the PC runs fine.

Any ideas? I am totally lost.

Thanks guys. :-)

I might try bumping the ddr RAM voltage up a tad. The ddr modules are waranteed up to but NOT over 2.9 volts (most folks find 2.7 or 2.75volts works for them, occasionally 2.8 is used). It looks like you're probably getting a momentary voltage drop with a cold power supply when that gas guzzling behemouth video card comes on line which doesn't occur with the nifty fuel efficient 6200LE.

Unable to bump it up to 2.8 I have an MSI board that colors the values of the settings so that you don't set something to a dangerous level. The colors are grey for default, white for normal, yellow for high performance, and red for dangerous. 2.8 fell into the red zone so I reset it to 2.75.

Now as far as the 7800 is concerned, I upped the voltage on it to yellow, (can't remember the actual voltage), since I was getting no video signal sometimes on the LCD flatscreen during bootup, and after I powered down the PC, everything booted normally without any changes to RAM timings, and I actually got video. My PC is almost 3 yrs old, and now it's having fits, it was just fine when I built it. :-)

Archived