Corsair Community

Bad XMS 512 stick.

I purchased a pair of Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR 512 sticks in a matched set for a dual channel setup. I already was running another set of the exact same type of ram from Corsair. After about 2 months of running the second pair of 512mb sticks I noticed my PC was alot slower and that it no longer showed 2gigs of ram in Windows, or in my BIOS. Upon removing the good sticks and inserting the bad set my PC will not boot, giving long tones (bad ram). I am a certified computer tech and need to get this pair of matched XMS 512 sticks replaced. My first pair works flawlessly still but any combo with the newer 2 sticks either causes the wrong amount of RAM to be shown or will prevent the PC from booting alltogether. I am currently running a AMD 64 3.2gig processor in a MSI Neo4 SLI Plat board. Currently have 1 gig (2x 512mb) of XMS, the second gig (also 2x 512mb sticks) is no longer useable. I have tested the board with another additional set of RAM and it works flawlessly. Again, this setup was working for about 2 months prior and I am confident this is a case of memory gone bad.

Thanks for your time

Ouch all of them? Id perfer not to replace the working pair. I am a VERY stong advocate of dont fix it if it isnt broken. Can I not just get the bad pair of 512's replaced? I have tested them with memtest and they failed, the others passed with flying colors.

Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
You would need to talk to our customer service, I am pretty sure we cannot order by version number and if not you would need to send them all and ask if they can match them. Or sell what you have and buy new memoey is the other option. Chnaces are there is nothing worng with the other set just they are a different version or you are trying to run them to aggressively with four modules. Did you just just this set by it self and load setup defaults and then set the tested settings?

I am attempting to run them aggressively in a 4 DIMM, Dual Channel setup.

Due to the limitations of my board, it underclocks them to DDR333 when running 4 channels of DDR400. Each pair of the same version are on a channel by themselfs.

I tested the suspect "bad" RAM by itself in 2 different PC's. NETHIER PC can even POST with the "bad" sticks in it (black screen, long beeps, memory error). Both PC's boot and pass all memtests with the other set of Corsair 512 sticks.

Do different versions make that big of a difference? Why did this same setup work fine for 2 months? I will call Customer Service and appreciate all your help. I cannot be without my PC however so replacing all 4 sticks will prove to be quite the inconvience if it comes down to that.

-Alex

Archived